This week the kids went on their first field trip of the year to Casa De Fruta in Hollister. We rode the bus (not as fun as it sounds when you realize that there were three of us in one seat), but it was an experience none the less. The kids looked adorable in their Halloween shirts. Claire wanted to wear this black pumpkin shirt that my dad gave her last year for Halloween. How she remembered that she still had it is beyond me. So from this point on, she says it should be referred to as the 'Grandpa Shirt'. Michael wore a glow-in-the-dark spider shirt and felt equally as cool! I must say that as a parent of little kids for the past 5 years, it is so rewarding to be able to do 'big kid' things like take them on a field trip. I am also completely aware that with the birth of #3, I will be thrown back into the tedious tasks of packing a diaper bag and bracing for the 'no sleep' regimen. So it was a joy to take in the lack of real effort I had to put in to see the kids being so independent and well behaved at the farm. Knowing that my time is limited in terms of being able to get out of bed and experience things with the kids, I breathed in every moment of the trip. Watching them interact with their friends, Michael pushing Claire over into a mountain of pumpkins (he claims it was an accident), kicking up dust as we walked over to ride an old fashioned train, eating brown bag lunches on a hill with peacocks prancing around. I feel like time has slowed so that I can enjoy each and every experience life has to offer. It's funny, when you are pregnant- time goes by so slowly. You can't wait to be just a week more advanced in your pregnancy and it seems like you could grab the minutes, which hang like fog on a crisp fall morning, right before your eyes. I have been working hard to change the way I am thinking about the passage of time. Choosing to take the slow process of pregnancy and enjoy the little things that make my children unique. A lot of mom's worry about how when a new baby comes they won't be able to find love to give to the new baby. How will they balance the attention with 3 eager children wanting you all to themselves? I am sure this is no easy task (as I will soon find out) but I haven't taken a second to worry about finding love for all 3. I know it is there and always will be.
Friday, October 27, 2006
The 'Grandpa Shirt'
This week the kids went on their first field trip of the year to Casa De Fruta in Hollister. We rode the bus (not as fun as it sounds when you realize that there were three of us in one seat), but it was an experience none the less. The kids looked adorable in their Halloween shirts. Claire wanted to wear this black pumpkin shirt that my dad gave her last year for Halloween. How she remembered that she still had it is beyond me. So from this point on, she says it should be referred to as the 'Grandpa Shirt'. Michael wore a glow-in-the-dark spider shirt and felt equally as cool! I must say that as a parent of little kids for the past 5 years, it is so rewarding to be able to do 'big kid' things like take them on a field trip. I am also completely aware that with the birth of #3, I will be thrown back into the tedious tasks of packing a diaper bag and bracing for the 'no sleep' regimen. So it was a joy to take in the lack of real effort I had to put in to see the kids being so independent and well behaved at the farm. Knowing that my time is limited in terms of being able to get out of bed and experience things with the kids, I breathed in every moment of the trip. Watching them interact with their friends, Michael pushing Claire over into a mountain of pumpkins (he claims it was an accident), kicking up dust as we walked over to ride an old fashioned train, eating brown bag lunches on a hill with peacocks prancing around. I feel like time has slowed so that I can enjoy each and every experience life has to offer. It's funny, when you are pregnant- time goes by so slowly. You can't wait to be just a week more advanced in your pregnancy and it seems like you could grab the minutes, which hang like fog on a crisp fall morning, right before your eyes. I have been working hard to change the way I am thinking about the passage of time. Choosing to take the slow process of pregnancy and enjoy the little things that make my children unique. A lot of mom's worry about how when a new baby comes they won't be able to find love to give to the new baby. How will they balance the attention with 3 eager children wanting you all to themselves? I am sure this is no easy task (as I will soon find out) but I haven't taken a second to worry about finding love for all 3. I know it is there and always will be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment