Saturday, June 09, 2007

Ali's Getting Married!

I can still remember what it was like to be 20 years old and to know that Damien was 'the one'. It sounds so cliched, but I think that when you find the right person, you just want to get your life started together! Ali is only 22 years old, but when she met Kenny three years ago, she too had the feeling of completion. So as we prepare to witness Ali getting married this August, we also prepare for the slew of showers and parties that will be thrown in her honor!

Today we honored Ali at her first bridal shower and it was a lot of fun. She is marrying Kenny this August and we are so happy for her. A few pre-shower jitters (i.e. how to say thank you after opening gifts you registered for and worrying if you remember all your great aunt's names) but when it was all said and done- she did great! Matthew and Claire accompanied me to the shower and Claire had a ball dressing up for a 'big girl' party. She had been looking forward to this for weeks and was even more excited to learn that Michael wasn't coming. An 'all girls day'- she called it. Never mind that Matthew was the only boy there. Babies don't count! The shower was a lot of fun! We played the ever popular ring game where you wear a ring and if you say the word 'wedding' you lose it to the person who caught you saying it. That was a lot of fun for people that weren't sleep deprived! Lani took my ring within the first two minutes. Love you Lani! Both Damien and my family are so competitive at this game. Okay, fine. Not all of us are competitive with this game- mostly Lani and Gina. I swear, you can't beat them! It was a good Lani vs. Gina show-down when I got married and it was hilarious to see each other's strategy against each other! Funny that I don't remember who won in the end!
It was a lovely afternoon and Ali glowed as she opened her presents and cut the cake. It was really special to see Ali in this role- the center of attention. Ali has personality that is never ending and really never has a problem drawing attention to her! But this was different. She was so gracious to all who came and played the role of 'Bride-to-Be' as naturally as I have seen it played before. She looked beautiful, confident and for all those nay-sayers who say getting married young is a mistake, she proved them wrong and then some. I truly believe that Ali has met her perfect match with Kenny. I am genuinely excited to see her walk down the aisle in August, surrounded by family and friends who love her, in all her glory. Congrats Ali!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ummm...I'm pretty sure it was me.
Gina
'the weiner'