Saturday, December 22, 2007

Matthew's First Haircut

pimp myspace
I loved that Matthew was a baldish baby. He had just enough hair that if you rubbed your cheek against his soft head, it felt like peach fuzz. Matthew's hair was really short for a long time but once he hit 6 months, it really started to grow. As it grew, we were able to finally see what color hair he had! I would call Matthew a blond baby. However, there is no denying that there is a little strawberry in there too! It is darling and I have loved watching his hair grow in.

Matthew is almost 11 months. He is still a baby but we can't ignore the tufts of hair that are growing over his ears. The hair on his forehead is almost in his eyes and he is starting to get a mini-mullet in the back by his neck. I have tried to ignore these things, but the word Haircut Haircut keeps replaying itself over in my mind. We didn't give Michael his first haircut until he was about 20 months old. He was shaggy but we couldn't bring ourselves to cut it. Claire got her first haircut when she was 4 but girls are so different with hair. When she was a baby and her hair started getting too long, I just put it back with a clip. Easy solution all around.

No matter how we justified Matthew's growing hair, we knew he needed a haircut. So, when we went up to Washington for Christmas, I told myself to just get it done. My sister Jill made appointments for Michael, Matthew and her son Kyle, and the plan was in place. Kyle went first and was a great patient. Matthew was up next and I must admit, he was a bit apprehensive. He wasn't crying- he just knew something was going on. This fear went totally away when Jill gave Matthew a lollipop. He thought he was so cool and there was no drama after that! All in all, the haircut was no big deal. He looked so cute once he was sheared and Damien and I both felt confident that we made the right call. He does look more grown up with his new do, but he is almost 1 year old and really is a big boy. While I loved the his long floppy hair, I equally love this new haircut.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

huge looks so cute! nice technical work lisa. you're really steppin' it up! :)