Saturday, February 09, 2008

Golden Circle

You can only imagine what a pleasant surprise it was to be invited by a dear friend of mine to a black tie formal. Coming from the day to day cracker smeared on my shirt, predictable velour sweat suit, and running shoes- it was a very welcome break from my ultra casual lifestyle. The event was Santa Clara University's Golden Circle, which this year featured entertainment by Kenny Loggins followed by a formal dinner and dancing at the Fairmont Hotel. I could hardly contain my excitement! A night away with Damien for us to act like adults, to be able to eat my dinner at my own pace and not worry about picking Matthew's throwaways up off the floor, not having to coax Michael into finishing his dinner . . . SIGN ME UP!

Back in the day before my primary job was staying home with the kids, I worked at Santa Clara University for just over two years. Having attended Santa Clara for my undergraduate education, I LOVED working there and naturally had an exuberant amount of pride and passion for what I did. Working as an Event Planner, I worked on two Golden Circle events as well as other events and really enjoyed what I did. Perhaps one day, once the kids are in school, I can return to this field since I really feel like it is my other passion (aside from running carpools, changing diapers and feeding babies bottles in the middle of the night).

Damien's parents came down to watch the kids and I was really excited to get out for the night! Let's see. A formal dress- check. Hubby looking handsome in a tuxedo- check. Dinner and dancing- check. A night of un-interrupted sleep- triple check! We kissed the kids goodbye and off we went! We decided to stay at the hotel for the night and just live it up! Kenny Loggins was great and we realized that we knew more of his songs that we had originally thought! Dinner was fabulous and the decor was amazing. Every year at this event, around two thousand people attend. Each different dining room at the hotel looks as if it's its own world. Different colors, lighting, draping, flowers, and bands give each room it's own unique feel and it is fun to visit each room and dance to different music and enjoy the ambiance.

One wonderful thing about Santa Clara is that it is one giant family. We saw SO many people we knew and had so many wonderful conversations with people we haven't seen for a while! This event is a homecoming of sorts for all those who love SCU and want a chance to get together and dance the night away. I was so thankful that Karrie invited us to Golden Circle and feel blessed that she would treat us to such an amazing night.

When we came home the next afternoon, refreshed from some time away and after having some serious R&R- we were so happy to see the kids and thankful that for a brief evening, Damien and I got to reconnect and spend some much needed alone time together. It is hard to get away and leave the kids, but we both came back refreshed, renewed, and ready to resume our responsibilities at home. Thanks to Mark and Marlene for giving us a chance to get away!

No comments: