Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Literally, there was so much going on this Halloween. So many costumes, so many little requests, so many details that I didn't want to forget. Life this year with four kids all dressed up was so much fun but a little more logistically challenging! I love this time of year because it is such a fantastic time for my kids to have some self expression. Aside from Emily's costume (obviously), I let my kids pick out their costumes and like every other year- it was so interesting!

Michael started out the 'costume hunting season' by again staying in the Star Wars realm. I gently tried to encourage him to try something new- but for the third time in four years- Michael stayed true to his Padawan roots and went with Star Wars. The funny thing about him this year was that he didn't want to go out and buy a new costume (yeah for our budget)- he instead wanted to wear a Darth Vader costume we've had for about the last two years. He had never worn it for Halloween before and he seemed really happy and excited with his choice.

Claire wanted to go out and go shopping for a costume and I was sure she was going to go with Disney Princesses again. She did stop and look at them for a good while but I was so pleased to see her gravitate towards a Monarch Butterfly. The costume was so cute, more mature than her costumes in the past, and just really beautiful and different. Not a costume I would had thought she would have chosen but she and I both loved it. Once we got home and she tried it on- she was in love!

Matthew cracks me up. Seriously- this kid is wise beyond his years. We were in Old Navy randomly one day (not looking for costumes) and he was completely drawn to this hysterically funny plush chicken costume. Part of me was thinking that maybe it was a little dorky for my cool guy, but the minute he tried it on- I could not contain myself. It was so funny . . . just like Matthew! He couldn't wait to try it on for Daddy when we got home and when he saw Damien's reaction- he was dead set on being a chicken!

Emily had no choice in her costume this year but Claire sure thought it would be cute if she and her sissy were both butterflies. Emily looked so cute in the butterfly bunting and it was really comfortable for her to wear and also easy to carry her in. Honestly, I couldn't get enough of her sweet chubby face in this costume. All of her siblings thought she looked so cute and it just warmed my heart so much!

Halloween was celebrated a day early at the kids school. We got up extra early in order to get everyone ready to drive to school and watch the school's Halloween Costume Parade. This was Claire's first year to parade around as the Kindergarten doesn't participate in it. She was so excited! Both Michael and Claire looked great, confident, and so happy with their costume choices. Matthew was just as happy to be a 'chicken onlooker' and Emily knew no difference. It was a great morning and really got them in the spirit for the next day which was finally HALLOWEEN!!!

We planned to have a small group of family and friends over to celebrate the spooky day. We took it really easy and just hung around and talked for a while over pizza dinner, Damien's famous caramel apples, yummy salads, and a big boiling pot of special brew (dry ice and warm water). The kids loved trick-or-treating and it was especially fun for us to watch Matthew prowl the streets in his white feathered costume. He really got what it means to trick-or-treat and it was so cute. Michael had a last minute costume change and dissed his Darth Vadar for a self created spy costume (think dressing in as much black as possible and then wearing sunglasses). Hmmm. Creative. We had some of the kids cousins over (Brennan and Gabe) and also had one of Michael's friends from school.

It really was a fun night and I can only imagine how much more fun it will be to have a more mobile Emily next year. I love my kids. I love the chaos that having four kids brings. I know that sometimes it can overwhelm me- but for the greater part of being the mother of my beautiful, creative, funny, sarcastic, loving and special kids- and am so incredibly grateful. It is nights like this that make me so happy that Damien and I opened our hearts and lives to such a big family. Happy Halloween Everyone!

2 comments:

Brook said...

Great pictures! Everyone looks so cute. I love the chicken outfit!

Teal said...

Love the costumes! Matthew's costume is hysterically cute!