Wednesday, July 02, 2008

England . . . Ready or Not- Here We Come!

Just over a year ago, Damien's brother Mark and his family moved to England for his job. For just over a year, they have been trying to get us to go out there and alas, we are going! We are spending just over two weeks there and plan to visit three different countries! They have two young children, added to our three- makes five kids under seven traveling around Europe. Sounds like fun to me! Let's go!

The idea of packing for myself and the kids for a 15 day European adventure was less than appealing. Added to the stress I feel when going to Europe (a la Michael's birth) and worrying about something happening to one of the kids was enough to make me crazy! But somehow, the packing got done, I wiped Safeway out of their Children's Tylenol and Motrin, got preventative antibiotics should the kids get sick, and had enough snacks to feed the entire economy section of the plane. Feeling good and organized with a few days to spare before our flight- I relaxed and tried to enjoy the down time. Big Mistake. I let my guard down and what do you know? Matthew and I got ear infections the day before we were supposed to leave! Wonderful! He started fevering and couldn't sleep restfully. And for those of you parents who have given small children antibiotics- one of the most annoying side effects are the cha chas. Think for a second . . . a small fevering toddler on a plane, ears hurting from the pressure, repeated diaper full of cha chas, and ten hours to sit in one area. Hmmm. Suddenly my enthusiasm and bright cheery outlook was nowhere to be found.

Flight day came and we pulled it together. The packing was done, the house was organized, we had a full day of antibiotics in Matthew, and the car was here ready to take us to San Francisco International Airport. We all strapped into the car and just like that- we were launched! Damien and I have taken the kids to Europe before. Three years ago- we took Michael (then age 4) and Claire (then age 2) to Paris. It wasn't the most relaxing of trips, but I have absolutely no regrets about taking them. I kept trying to tell myself the same thing with this trip. It would be fine- our kids are troopers. We had to check in really early at the airport but better safe than sorry. Lucky for us, we were able to get four seats in front of the bulkhead so Matthew had some space to move around during the flight. Up, up, and away we went on our very own National Lampoon's European Adventure. Who knows what it would bring, but we were doing it!

The flight was pretty good. Damien and I didn't sleep a wink (but I did get to watch 27 Dresses), Michael and Claire each got two hours of sleep, Matthew napped here and there and slowly but surely- we were inching our way to England. Poor Clairey got sick when we were close to landing because her little body was so confused and tired. I felt bad for her. But she handled it well. Moving on- Virgin Atlantic was awesome! Everything from their service, to the food, to the in-flight entertainment was high quality. In everyone seatbacks, you had your own personal television where you could watch one of many many movies or TV shows or play video games (even play against other people on the plane). Michael and Claire were so content playing games and watching movies that we barely heard a peep out of them (except when Claire barfed). Matthew did well, too. He was quite squirmy at times, but between me and Damien- we were able to handle him. All in all, the flight wasn't bad. A welcome relief for us. Now, we just had to focus on trying to get the kids adjusted to the eight hour time change. Jocelyn and Brennan picked us up and whisked us to their home where we let the kids run around for a few hours before we all succumbed to a 2 hour nap. Jet lag on your own is hard but dealing with the kids battling jet lag at the same time was a little crazy. But we are crazy. Needless to say, we were happy to make it their home in one piece and settle in.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I can't wait to hear more about your trip! The fact that you had enough snacks to feed the plane KILLED me. What a good and prepared mom you are.