Tuesday, September 30, 2008

20 Month Old Matthew

I meant to write an 18 month update but wouldn't you know- I got so busy I didn't! So my little 20 month old Matthew- I hope one day when you look back you won't feel slighted by the difference in your and your siblings' baby books! But buddy- that is why I blog. It includes more than the date of your first tooth and first hiccup. It will remind you of the very special events and moments of your life (and ours).

Matthew is a sweet boy. It is the best word I can use to describe him. Sweet. Matthew is an onlooker. He loves to watch what everyone is doing and observes those around him in order to gain information. I have been told that this is a very 'third child' stance, but whatever the reason- it is Matthew's way and I love it. He is still a Mama's boy but his love for his Daddy and siblings is immense! He has gained some Independence over the last few months and loves to play outside or in his room. He seems to always be at our sides but when I think about it- he really is starting to have fun on his own. His naps have lengthened to a solid 2-3 hours. This of course frees me up to get things done around the house!

Matthew is a running, climbing machine. Luckily, he is still really cautious and safe but he is on the move! He is talking a lot these days. Mostly unintelligible garble (with guttural sounds) but he has a lot of words, too. He says, Mom, Mama, Dad, Daddy, Rawr (Claire), Muh Muh (Michael), poo (poop), more, Nunna (Nonna), Papa (Grandpa), aaaee (E), Papa (Papa), lalalalalalalalal (Cinderella), aaaaahhhhhhhh aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh (Disney Princesses- he sings it), kkkkkkk (yuck), ba ba (bottle), pa pa (pluggie), buh buh (bye bye), and a lot more. But the fun of it is trying to figure out what he is saying. He is hysterical and totally gets what is comedic! Can you blame him after being around Michael and Claire all day!

At Matthew's 18 month appointment- he was 31 1/2 pounds. He continues to maintain his big stature and it will be interesting to see him grow even bigger! Matthew loves all food. Seriously- all food. He used to not eat eggs, but he has forgiven that grudge and is eating them now. He loves to dip his food in any dipping sauce and still loves his bottle in the morning, afternoon, and before bed. He has started pooping in the toilet. I know. Crazy! For the past five days he has pooped in the toilet! He comes over and says poop and then runs to the toilet and voila! I know better than to count on this to continue (although it would be nice). I have no plans to potty train him (I am not ready for that) but if I don't have to change poopy diapers- hello? Why not let him continue his trend?

Matthew likes to play games with us. He loves to wave goodbye and then walk backwards out of room until we cry because he is gone and then he runs back in and gives us the biggest hug! Matthew loves to go on walks and it is so sweet because he gets upset that the leaves have fallen out of the tree. He painstakingly picks them up and wants me to put them back in the tree. I humor him a few times but being that it is Fall and leaves are falling at a very quick rate, I can only put a few leaves back or we would be there all day! He knows how to fake laugh and get people's attention. He loves dropping Michael and Claire off at school and makes sure he gives them a kiss before they go in. Matthew loves to hold balls and little figurines. He likes to hold Sponge Bob a lot and if you ask him who he is holding, he will answer in a scary monster voice Bob! Matthew seriously cracks us up all day long!

As Halloween is fast approaching, Matthew has thoroughly enjoying seeing all of the Halloween decorations in the stores and on people's porches. He loves it but wasn't too keen when he was surprised by this motion activated witch at Lowe's! One other thing he is scared of (which is ridiculous) is when Playdoh is squeezed out of a little machine and looks like spaghetti. He will run away screaming if he sees that! It kills us! All in all, Matthew makes our family so happy and we can't imagine a day without him! He amazes Michael and Claire with his new found skills and thinks he is so cool when he can do things they can do. Matthew is the best and we can't wait to see what happiness he brings us all tomorrow!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Such a special guy - isn't it so much fun to enjoy this age? I'm glad Matthew and Morgan are so close in age because it's really fun to read about what he's up to.