
We love parties around here so it was no problem at all to ramp up and celebrate Emily's First Birthday . . . again! Her party was at the tail end of our visit so we got to enjoy the week without having to go into party mode. We decided to just invite family because even if we
just had family- it was a full house! It was so wonderful to see everyone and the vibe was so laid back and gave us all a chance to catch up and just relax!

Emily loved all of the balloons and decorations. She was also completely mesmerized by the new 'birthday shoes' that Nonna and Grandpa bought her. They are officially her first pair of shoes and very necessary these days as she is starting to walk more and more. It might still look a little 'Frankenstein-
ish' but it is still considered walking in my book!

Emily annihilated her birthday cake much like she did at her
first First Birthday Party. The kid likes to eat and get messy! What can I say? All the kids kind of attacked their cakes on their first birthdays. Claire and Emily were the ones who completely dove in- while Matthew methodically picked away at his until it was everywhere! Michael, when he was a baby, HATED getting dirty. If I remember correctly, he did dip a few fingers into his cake and had fun, but didn't go for the cake explosion like his siblings. I love how very different they all are! It is what makes life so amazing! All my kids were created from the same two parents but journeying down their own distinct paths. So cool.

I was thrilled that my Dad's family could make to the party. They are really so special to me. We don't get to see them very often because of the distance but when we do get together, I really love it. My Grandma, who turned 90 this year, is so incredibly amazing. She has so much energy, is so intelligent, and is just such an important person in my life. I love her very much and am so glad that all four of my children have gotten to know their Great-Grandmother!

Most of my Mom's family was able to join us which was really nice. My aunts and cousins are so supportive and always make a special effort to see us when we are up in Washington. I was so happy that my Nana (my Grandma and the kids Great-Grandma) was able to be with us to celebrate. Just like my other Grandma, she amazes me with her strength and grace. She loves seeing the kids and my kids were loving that she wanted to play catch with them at the end of the party. I thought Michael was going to pass out from sheer amazement!

Well, I guess this officially marks the end of Emily's First Birthday Extravaganza. Part of me is sad that this is our last 'first birthday' but another part of me celebrates all we have been through during the last year. Having raised four children to at least the age of one, I am ready to say goodbye to the newborn/little baby stage and look forward to raising kids who are a little older and make our family more durable/portable. I have loved every minute of Emily's first year. Well, in all honesty- there were quite a few minutes where I was completely losing my mind! But on a serious note, this year was everything I could have dreamed it to be. Little Emily has only been our hearts for a year, but none of us can imagine life without her. Happy Birthday Emily. You're the best.
No comments:
Post a Comment