Sunday, November 14, 2010

Turning Thirty Five

For some reason- I have been dreading turning thirty-five.  I can't quite figure out why I feel this way!  I feel young, my life is rolling at a great pace, and I feel like I've 'still got it' but something about turning thirty-five has me a little overwhelmed.  If I had to guess, I think it has something to do with getting closer to being forty.  Thankfully, I had time to think about things and realized that dreading a silly birthday would be such a waste!  I know when I look back at this post ten years from now I will think about how young I was at the time!  I don't want to say, 'She should have appreciated how young she was instead of dreading one silly day!'.

Gina moved down to San Francisco at the end of October and it just so happened that Natalie was in town to help her move in!  Of course I had to take advantage of my sisters being with me on my big day so we made a plan to spend a night on the town in downtown Los Gatos.  Dinner was great.  Hilarious conversations and good food made me so ridiculously happy.  We had such a good night together.  What a great start to my birthday weekend!

The following night, Damien, Gina, and I went to a play that starred our great friend, Keith.  We met up with a lot of friends beforehand and all went together.  Again, a night full of laughter!  Afterwards, we all went back to Keith's house to hang out and at the stroke of midnight, Keith cued up Fiddy Cent's, It's Your Birthday and the whole gang sang/rapped me into my thirty-sixth year.  In that moment I accepted that age is just a number and breathed in all the love people had for me in that room.  I am one lucky girl- that's for sure!

On my actual birthday, I played in my soccer game early in the morning.  I am the second oldest on my team.  Yes, we have a handful of twenty year old girls and at times it makes me feel so old!  But I had a great game today and felt healthy and strong out there.  Thirty-five felt great!  Afterwards, we went and watched one of the four soccer games my kids had today.  For the last two years, their Jamboree has fallen on my birthday which makes my birthday weekend plans include eight soccer games!  I love it, though.  It is really what my life is about!  I mean, how cool is it that we were all getting ready for our soccer games together???  Later in the day, Gina and I managed to drag the kids to Starbucks for my ceremonial birthday eggnog latte (courtesy of my Mommy).  It was divine, as usual!  We ended the night gathered at a delicious sushi restaurant in Willow Glen with Damien, the kids, Gina, Mark, Jocelyn, and their boys.  That too was fabulous.  The day kept getting better and better.


What a weekend.  How silly I was to worry about a number.  I should just look within and realize that I feel better than ever and celebrate THAT!  I truly am blessed!  I am surrounded by an infinite amount of love.  I have been given such amazing gifts from God that still carry me though my day to day life.  I am healthy and able to play sports and even got a birthday goal!  I am grounded by my wonderful family.  I get to live my dream each and every day as the mother to my beautiful children.  I have a husband who adores and takes care of me.  I feel so supported and uplifted by my friends who keep me going day after day.  I am so lucky.  My wish, as I look forward to this next year- is to stay positive, feel empowered, make sure those around me know how much I love them, and take time out for me, too.  A BIG thank you to anyone and everyone who enriches my life.  You know who you are.  Thanks for everything.  And in terms of getting older . . . who wouldn't want to grow old and gray with this guy?  Not this girl!

2 comments:

hdgina said...

Such a fun birthday month! I'm glad I could finally be there with you to celebrate. You don't look a day past 36. :) Love you.

the uffelmans said...

this is amazing. this is why your blog is the best. i LOVE to read it:

I truly am blessed! I am surrounded by an infinite amount of love. I have been given such amazing gifts from God that still carry me though my day to day life. I am healthy and able to play sports and even got a birthday goal! I am grounded by my wonderful family. I get to live my dream each and every day as the mother to my beautiful children. I have a husband who adores and takes care of me. I feel so supported and uplifted by my friends who keep me going day after day. I am so lucky. My wish, as I look forward to this next year- is to stay positive, feel empowered, make sure those around me know how much I love them, and take time out for me, too.