Friday, July 08, 2011

Swimming Lessons

I have the BEST memories of taking swim lessons when I was a kid.  It was such a highlight of the summer for me!  Jill and I were usually in the same class or in the pool at the same time while my Mom somehow managed to juggle three other kids on the edge of the pool.  (It is moments like this where I look at the great accomplishment my Mom achieved by raising the five of us.  How did she do it?)  I loved swimming in the sunshine (okay, the rain- too) and I especially loved the day where you got to wear all of your clothes in the pool to tread water in the deep end for safety's sake.  I remember showering afterwards and watching Jill use the shampoo that prevented blond hair from turning green from the chlorine while thanking God that my hair was brown and I didn't have to use the stinky stuff!  Then I remember the quick trip to 7-11 on the ride home to grab a small treat.  Swimming lessons were the best and it makes me nostalgic to see my kids enjoying the same.

A few years back, I enrolled Michael and Claire in an outdoor swim session at the Camden Community Center.  They loved it and it was so much more affordable than the other local options (with amazing swim results).  This year, I did the same and they loved being under the sun in a great big pool!  Matthew and Emily loved the wide open space on the side of the pool where they could run around and play games together.  I loved the brief thirty minutes where I could sit back, sunglasses on, and soak it all in. 

They both started in a Level 3 class but after the first day, they were asked if they didn't mind switching up to a Level 4!  Good job Michael and Claire.  I was so impressed with the instruction they got in their class.  They were taught so much in two weeks and I can definitely see an improvement in their strokes and pool skills. 

Matthew and Emily were insanely jealous the whole two weeks.  Luckily, I bribed away the jealousy with snacks and goodies.  Sugar is my friend!  I am so glad that I was able to find a pocket of time this summer to give Michael and Claire this opportunity.  During the school year, they are booked with other sports and mounds of homework.  Swimming skills are so important and I think summer will continue to be the time of year we designate to becoming stronger swimmers and continuing pool safety!  Ah, I love summer.

No comments: