There are so many things I love about Matthew these days. I love his smile- sometimes straight, other times crooked. I love when he wakes up in my arms, blinking slowly, staring straight at my face. Matthew makes all of us so happy. He has begun to really recognize our voices and our faces. He loves to listen to Claire talk and sing her Princess songs. He is captivated by Michael and his clapping and joking. He's been smiling and laughing with Damien, making their father/son bond stronger by the day. But for the moment, I am Matthew's #1 girl and it's wonderful. He seems to find me wherever I am and I love it! Those HUGE blue eyes peek out from under his teeny tiny eyebrows and dance around the room looking at lights and bright colors. Matthew has started 'talking' and likes to engage with us when we say 'goo' and other baby words/sounds. He really has been expressing himself with his facial expressions. Some of the faces he makes are hilarious! You can see that there is a lot of personality waiting to get out from behind his sweet face and chubby cheeks. If only he could figure out how to access it! 
Matthew is drawn to people's hairlines. He will move his eyes back and forth from your hairline to your eyes. He enjoys looking at things that have contrast. When we visited my Mom and Dad, Matthew stared as often as he could at their dark wooden door jams. He has gotten better at riding in the car and only screams every 1 out of 8 rides! Well, I don't really know how often, but it sounded good. His lungs are very strong and he exhibits this when he is hungry (which is still every 2 hours) and when he is overly tired. And for the record, he makes the same sound every time he is hungry and it sounds like, 'ngung'. Laugh if you will, but I think I have cracked his code! I carry him around most of the day and have found ways to do things one-handed (like writing this blog and making pizelle- seriously). We still aren't really sure what color his hair is. He is in the process of losing some of the old hair and growing some new hair, too. So, stay tuned. He still has trouble with his clogged tear ducts (which is very common for new babies), but the doctor told me to keep massaging them and they will open soon.
He had a great 2 month check-up. He weighed 14 lbs. 2 oz. and the doctor said he looked great. He was really fussy after his 4 immunizations and had a tough 24 hrs. following them (even despite Tylenol every 4 hrs). He doesn't see his pediatrician again until he's 4 months. Yahoo!
Michael and Claire love Matthew so much. They love seeing him when Matthew and I pick them up from preschool. They love when he smiles at them, pulls their hair, makes noises, and even when he poops. In fact, they get quite a kick out of seeing him blow through his size 2 diaper and ruin his outfit. They both laugh and scream and run around the room. Claire also witnessed Matthew's first 'bath poop' last week. Apparently it was so momentous an occasion that she shared the news with her class!

One of the most wonderful and rewarding things that has come from Matthew's arrival is that both Michael and Claire, on numerous occasions, have thanked me for giving them a brother. My 5 and 4 year old, who are constantly immersed in their young world, recognize the true gift of a new sibling. It was Damien and my hope, that after the long and difficult pregnancy, Michael and Claire's lives would be richer and more blessed. When I see them laugh with Matthew, when they find his little movements and smiles amazing, and when both of them kiss and hug him, I feel complete. My 3 kids, who all look different and have different little personalities, have the same heart and understanding that there is nothing more important than family. Matthew, you have only blessed our lives for 2 months . . . but you have changed us forever. Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment