Friday, April 27, 2007

Hoop Dreams

"Right, left, right." my Dad would tell me. This was the foot sequence for a left-handed layup. I heard what he said, but it took a long long time for my brain to make my feet do what he was saying. Lucky for me, I had a small court in my backyard and I could practice these types of fundamentals over and over until I got them right.

My cousins lived down the hill from me and we had spent countless hours in their driveway shooting hoops with my Uncle Denny. Sometimes we would play bump or HORSE, other times, we would try and shoot over a 6 foot tall wooden creation my Uncle liked to call, "Juanita". While I enjoyed playing with them, my Dad and I realized how useful and fun it would be to have a hoop of our own. Our front driveway was on an awkward slope, so that negated the possibility of having a hoop in our front yard- so it would have to be in the backyard. Once we committed to the idea of doing this, my Dad and I started pulling up the lawn and leveling out the dirt in the backyard to make our own little 'mini court'. Once this court was in, I was in heaven. I had a place where I could work off some of my overflowing energy while also practicing the game I loved so much. I would spend hours shooting. I spent such wonderful time with my sisters and Dad out there. I am sure they would say the same. My favorite time of the day to shoot was once the sun went down. My dad had some bright lights installed so that it was never too dark to go out and shoot. And shoot I did. Retiring many nights out there after shooting with my Dad, my favorite coach and rebounder.
My love for this court was shared by many. There aren't too many of my family or friends who have not shot around, played games, or watched the hysteria from the top of the deck. I can recall so many barbeques, birthday parties, special events, even the night before my wedding- when there was a big group of us on that court. We laughed, lived, learned, and had so much fun out there.

All of this leads me to the bittersweet news that the court is now gone. Concrete broken apart, hoop dismantled, and many memories driven away to make room for new memories. Don't get me wrong- I am so thrilled about the remodel, but sometimes change is hard. I must admit that when I laid eyes on the backyard for the first time and saw the absence of the court, my heart snuck up into my throat. I had so many wonderful times out there, learned so much, and even grew up out there. And while life is full of changes and we must grow and move on- I will never forget what that court meant to me.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I didn't know they were doing stuff outside too. I hear you on the memories...I remember dressing up silly and playing in the snow with you and Stef. Can't wait to see the house when it is all done, how exciting!

Amy