
In the midst of our crazy summer and the million things going on, I forgot to write about my sister, Jill, turning 30! I especially can't believe I forgot since I made a mental note to
broadcast it to the world after she was so excited when I turned 30. She even called me the night before I turned 30 to let me know that it was my last day in my 20s. I don't think Jill really cares how old I am or that I am 21 months older than her. I thought it was funny when she has the shot- she takes it. When we were kids, I always loved being the oldest. I got to drive first, graduate from high school first and move out of Mom and Dad's house first. Yet, as I have surpassed all of the 'seemingly cool' age milestones, it is her turn to watch me approach "The Hill" and then eventually go over it- FIRST. So, I guess I deserve all the phone calls the night before my birthday. It is just her way of getting me back!

It was nice to be at my parent's house this summer in August when Jill turned 30! Brian (her husband) treated 45 of her family and friends to a Seattle Mariner's game. They were slated to play the Boston Red
Sox, so we knew
Safeco Field would be sold out and
rockin'! The birthday was surprise party of sorts. Meaning- Jill knew something was going on, but didn't know what and where. It was funny to kind of mess with her head. The plan was so go to a dinner in Seattle, followed by the baseball game. Her husband told her that she needed to bring her swimming suit and
rollerblades. She was both nervous and apprehensive after his warning, but it was fun for the rest of us to watch her sweat a little bit. I had a hard time keeping it a secret as I was constantly sneaking away to do one of a million little touches for her party. It didn't help that the baptism for Matthew and Kyle was less than 24 hours after Jill's party. But it was one heck of a weekend!

We all met at
FX McRory's in Seattle and waited for Jill to arrive. The funny thing was that she
snuck in before we could
say "Surprise" and instead, she said, "Surprise- I'm Here!". We all had a great time there and then walked over to the game. We had some fun things planned for the game and wanted to make sure we got there before she did. We had 8 poster boards, each with a letter that said, "Jill Is 30". Unfortunately, a few of the people holding the signs, didn't quite get the message. We also had 40 "Faces of Jill". We took a picture of her, made it life size, cut it out, and then glued it onto a tongue depressor. It actually looked quite real and we got many a laugh out of them. After an hour or so, a few of the faces became disfigured and people were coming up with many interesting things to do with the "Jill Face". Enough said. We passed around a new treat every inning to the guests and all of us were stuffed by game's end.

It was a late night as the game started at 7:05 p.m. Luckily, all of the kids that were in our group were troopers and made it through. Matthew enjoyed his first
MLB ballgame and the game was a thriller and the stadium stayed packed until the last out. Somehow, Damien managed to ignore the
boo's that filled the stadium when the giant video screen showed Barry Bonds finally hitting
home run 755. All in all, Jill was happy and so were her family and friends. It was wonderful night for a wonderful sister, mother, wife, friend, and beautiful person.
Unfortunately, our pathetic attempts at getting on the
jumbotron failed (Jill faces, and all!). But it didn't matter. Being with my sister, my best friend, on her 30
th birthday and seeing the positive and amazing impact she had on all who surrounded her that night- was as good as it gets. Happy 30
th Birthday Jilly and here's to many, many more. Love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment