Monday, August 13, 2007

Teething Twosome

I had written a while back that I loved Matthew's gummy mouth. I loved that when he smiled, the light glistened off his little gums. I loved that when he chewed on my knuckle- I could barely feel it. I have always loved that when a baby has a mouth without teeth- you can be pretty certain that you have an itty bitty baby. Well- those days are gone. After months of drooling, gnawing on teethers, fists, and fingers-Matthew has his first tooth! He woke up the morning of August 11th, just shy of 6 1/2 months with extremely swollen and red gums. I felt bad for him and knew that the tooth was so ready to come in. The kids and I played with him in the morning and put him down for a nap. Somewhere between falling asleep and waking up, he sprouted his first tooth.

The funny thing about Matthew getting his first tooth is that at the same time as Matthew was working so hard to break his tooth through his gums, Michael is working on losing his first tooth. And would you believe that it is the same tooth in both my boys mouth? I suppose once you have a few kids, this losing and gaining teeth thing overlaps. I just find it funny that they were working on the same tooth at the same time! (In case you are wondering, it is the bottom right incisor). Michael is really excited that his tooth is loose. He tells anyone that will take the time to listen about this new experience. He has a hard time eating hard or sticky things as it puts a lot of pressure on his wiggly tooth. Everyday- it gets a little looser and I am actually looking forward to seeing him with a little black hole in his smile. He is looking forward to losing it too, as he thinks losing this tooth will make him able to whistle. Um, we'll see about that.

So there you have it. My little baby finally got his first tooth and my biggest baby is losing one. Needless to say, I am surrounded by the wonder of childhood and infancy and truly enjoying each and every new stage. Even if these stages overlap a bit!

2 comments:

JKS said...

I was just talking with Mark the other day about how Michael should be coming up to the time when he would start losing his teeth- HOW EXCITING!!! We wish him the best in his gummy adventures!! =-)

JKS said...

Also, congrats to Matthew for his first one.Hopefully it didn't bother him too much! I think it is so funny that it is exactly the same tooth- what are the odds?