Friday, August 24, 2007

Kindergarten

Can it be? Is Michael really starting Kindergarten? I remember last January when we were applying for Kindergarten and having a hard time believing that we were at this point in our parenting- 'parents of a kindergartner'. Well, the time has come and Michael is ready for school. The new group of Kindergarten moms are awfully organized and have been having play groups with the kids all summer. Due to the fact that we were gone most of the summer, Michael missed most of them but was able to join the kids on the last playdate. It was crazy to see him running around with the kids he will be in school with for the next 9 years!

Unlike entering preschool, which made Michael nervous and apprehensive, Michael has welcomed this new change with flying colors. He was very excited to start school and take this new challenge head-on.

On the morning of August 23rd, his first day of Kindergarten was here! School starts an hour earlier than his preschool did so it makes the new school mornings a little slower and harder to get out the door. But on his first day, he popped right out of bed, put on his uniform, and welcomed a day full of new beginnings. All the kids looked so cute in their uniforms. Damien and I both went to Catholic school and wore uniforms, but it is a whole different experience to see your child in one. And from a parenting perspective, it has been so easy to just put the uniform on in the morning instead of fumbling through his drawers to see what he should wear!

When we got to school, most of the kids were standing near their parents. You could tell they were all excited, but unsure of the process. The teachers came out and told them to take a seat on the benches outside the classroom. When the teacher rings the bell in the morning, you give your mom and dad a quiet wave to say goodbye. We waited with Michael for a few minutes until the teachers came out. She rang the bell and Michael waved goodbye. And that was it! No sad tears, no nervous faces or anything. It was a smooth transition. We picked him up a few hours later and he was smiling. He told us how cool Kindergarten was and how it was nothing like preschool. And just like that, the school year is off to a good start.

The school wide theme this year is, "Keep The Faith". I think it is so appropriate for our family. From the day Michael was born until now, we have had to rely on our faith to get us through the difficult times. God has been with Michael and our family through many seemingly scary times. He has also been with us through the triumphant times. Faith is what has got us here to this very day- and I have faith in this school that it will guide my children through both an education and spiritual journey.

I thought I would be so sad to see Michael go to Kinder-garten. I thought that my heart would ache when I saw him in his uniform and making such a giant leap to a big boy school. But surprisingly- Michael's easy transition has put me at ease. I think another part of it is that he is still only going for 3 hours a day. I know it will be harder to send him off next year when he will be away from me for 7 hours. I truly feel blessed that I have been able to stay home with my kids. I feel spoiled in a way because I am aware of everything that happens in their day to day life. Staying home does make it a little harder to let them go because you are so used to having control over their day, solving all their problems, and being able to make sure they are alright. Luckily, Michael's teachers seem to be very sweet, sensitive, and nurturing.

Michael, we are so proud of you. You are a wonderful and charismatic boy who brings both happiness and color into most any situation. We are so proud of you that you were able to trust this new experience and make the most of it. While part of me is sad to have you away from me everyday, I know that Kindergarten will help mold and shape you into an even more well rounded and amazing little boy. You have come a long way and fought the odds to be with us and we will never be able to thank you enough for your bravery and fight. Welcome to Kindergarten! We know you'll do great!

1 comment:

JKS said...

I've always thought of the kids that I taught as such big kids. The funny thing is, looking at those pictures- Michael is just a touch away from being one of those big kids. I'm so proud that he ( and you!) made the transistion so smoothly!