Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Big 3-2

As most of you know, I love my birthday. It is the one holiday a year where it is truly all about me (which when you are a Mother you life is about your kids- is a welcome surprise). Mother's Day is great, but you also honor your own Mother, Mother-in-Law, and Grandmothers, too. So, my birthday is a day to sit back and enjoy the ride and it was awesome! I had braced for this birthday to be a quiet one. A lot of the surrounding family was out of town and we had been watching Damien's brother so I knew that we would be limited in our adventures.

The night before my birthday, I had a basketball game. When I got home around 9:15 p.m., Damien insisted that he start my birthday celebrations by going to Baskin and Robbins to get me a quart of chocolate and peanut butter ice cream. (He knows me well!) Well, he was gone a really long time. So long in fact- that I thought something had happened to him! About 11p.m., he came home and gave me my ice cream. Matthew was asleep upstairs in his crib and I was just about to put my feet up and dig in when I heard what I thought was Matthew in the kitchen. Wait, did Matthew get out of his crib . . . I was all sorts of confused. I got up and walked towards the stairs when I saw my adorable little nephew Kyle standing in the kitchen! I couldn't believe it! Behind him were my Mom and my sister, Jill. I was so surprised and had no idea they were going to be here! It was a wonderful surprise and I was so happy they came down to see me!

The next morning, they accompanied me on my morning carpool circuit and then we got coffee (twice), went shopping, went to lunch at Tomatina's (yummy!!), came back and rested, then headed out to dinner with a bunch of friends and family at Chevy's. It was a fantastic day and I felt the love from all of those that were able to celebrate my birthday with me. Damien really put in a lot of effort to make sure that I enjoyed my day to the fullest and I thank him and recognize all he did to make me so happy. It didn't hurt that he also gave me a sewing machine which is what I have wanted for a few years now!

It has been a crazy year. A lot of changes, a lot of new beginnings. However, when it was all said and done, this year has presented me with a large opportunity for growth. I am surrounded by my three beautiful children, a wonderful and loving extended family, an exceptional husband, and great friends. When I think back to a year ago, I was 24 weeks pregnant with Matthew and in a very different place. It was so special to have him with me this year and to come full circle from a year ago. I do love the fanfare that comes with my birthday and don't mind being spoiled either. But the real gift for me is the opportunity to be introspective on all that I have learned over the past year. I am appreciative for all of the wonderful blessings, the hard lessons, the mistakes I learned from, the successes, the failures, and the perseverance it took to make it another 365 days. I have learned a lot about me this year. I have new expectations on what I wish to accept in my life. What I wish to give to others and what I wish to receive from them. As we get older- we realize how short and blessed life is. I think that we need to constantly re-define our expectations and make sure we make the most out of life. My wish is to be able to make my children happy, to be a good mother to them, to be a good sister, daughter, wife, and friend. The life lesson to be learned here is that you can't be any of these if you don't listen to your own voice. Listen to what you need, listen to what makes you happy and be heard- because if you don't make yourself a priority, that beautiful light within you becomes less bright. I hope to listen to myself this year and let my light shine as bright as it can be. I am ready to set out to conquer, live, breathe, and enjoy another 365 days. Who knows what it has to offer, but I am ready to make the very most of it because life is a gift and I want to share it with all of those I love. Thank you to everyone who reached out to me on my birthday. I love you all and thank you for giving me the light I need to truly shine.

1 comment:

JKS said...

I am so jealous/homesick/bugged/bummed etc. that I wasn't there to help you celebrate... Waah- sounds like it all about "me" ha!
I'm so glad that you had such a good time and I look forward to celebrating with you in the future!!!