Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Day To Be Thankful

For the second year in a row, we hosted Thanks-giving at our home. This year was a welcome
change from last as I was actually able to do most of the cooking instead of observing from the couch while being pregnant. Again, we had a full house and it felt wonderful to be surrounded my Damien's family and to continue the tradition of togetherness.

So much has surrounded the festivities this year. I had planned to have all this time to prep and get organized, but that was not the way it played out! Six days before Thanksgiving, we put an offer on a house and it was accepted. Clearly, this shifted our focus a bit- but thankfully we got on track a few days later. I don't know what it is about this time of year that makes us House Happy. Just four years ago, we put an offer on the house we are in today the day before Thanksgiving. I guess it is just our time of year to add drama on top of drama!

Heavenly flew in Wednes- day night and helped us get started with all of the Thanks- giving prep. Because we had a big group of 22 coming to dinner, I was a bit nervous with the turkey situation. I bought a 23 pound turkey that we were going to cook on Thanksgiving- but the last thing I wanted to happen was to run out of turkey or even worse, not have any leftover for turkey sandwiches the next day! So, instead of cooking a second turkey or bothering someone to do it for me, I cooked two turkey breasts the night before. So with those cooked and with the nervousness of a turkey shortage behind me, we continued to cook and clean for the next day's craziness!

I love the Thanks- giving Parade and put it on for the kids to watch. Claire was way more interested than Michael, but I liked hearing it in the background while I prepped in the kitchen. First thing this morning, I set all the tables up. Tables, chairs, tablecloths, napkins, plates, utensils, votives, place cards, flowers, and much more. See, the problem with Thanksgiving is that it is what I call 'An All At Once Holiday'. You can prep all you want, but you really can't do much in advance accept set the table and cook the turkey. All the side dishes and all the madness can't be started until about an hour and a half before dinner time. It is calm, I am relaxed and then all of the sudden, you have to get moving!

The evening started at 5pm. It was great to see everyone trickling in and even more special to see the cousins running around the house. Michael and Claire don't get to see their cousins from Oregon often, so it is always great when they get to play with them. The house felt full of little ones and big ones, alike. Appetizers were served (people practically inhaled the brie cheese/red pepper jelly dish) and the night was off to a great start. Damien and I were busy in the kitchen chopping potatoes, mixing salads, cutting the garlic bread, preparing the sweet potatoes, making the stuffing and prepping the rest of the "All At Once" side dishes.

Dinner was delicious! We all gathered together to say prayer and thank God for all of the wonderful family and friends that filled the room with love. We are thankful for so much. For our health, for family, for the roof over our heads. Marlene said a beautiful prayer and then we ate! There was so much food, but that is pretty normal for Thanksgiving dinner. The kids ate at the 'Kid's Table' in the front room and the rest of us ate, talked about life, and caught up in the other room.

After dinner, we listened to a beautiful song sung by the Bowles family, ate dessert (there were so many!), and relaxed. Then came the 2nd Annual 'Passing of the Seasons' raffle. Each year when we are done with dinner and dessert, we all pick numbers and then everyone wins a Christmas gift that I purchased in advance. This year there were a lot of great gifts and everyone left a winner!

Another tradition I started this year was a Thankful Book. Everyone who was there wrote in the book what they were thankful for. Not only was it special to read what people wrote- but this book will serve as a reminder over the years of where we've been and what we've been doing. My Mom works this book into her Thanksgiving tradition and I decided it was time I did, too. Thanks for the great idea, Mom!

The next morning, we woke up and met everyone for breakfast. Once again- our big group got together and rehashed about the previous night's festivities. It was great to relax over some good breakfast food and enjoy everyone being together before they all set off to their homes again. After breakfast, we relaxed at the hotel (Matthew napped) and then we headed to a park for the Thanksgiving Cup. The Swendsen family usually has some type of competition the day after big holidays and this year was no different. This year the game was kick ball and I am happy to report that everyone had fun and there was no arguing (perhaps a Swendsen first?)! It was very non-competitive and all the kids (young and old) were able to play and have fun. After the game, we drove everyone by our new house and then came back to our house for Thanksgiving leftovers.

All in all, Thanks- giving this year was wonderful. I was personally thankful that Matthew was with us and able to be part of the action. I am thankful for my children's health and happiness, thankful to be around people who love and care about me, and thankful that God has blessed me with so much.

No comments: