In keeping with our holiday traditions, we got all dressed up and went to see Damien's Mom, Marlene, perform in a production of The Nutcracker. She has created her own narration to the holiday show and we wouldn't think of missing it! This year was even more fun because we were able to talk our great friends into joining us!
The Brinkers have been our friends since college. Actually, Aaron has been friends with Damien since high school. We both met our respective spouses while at Santa Clara University and we have been friends ever since! They live very close to where the production takes place and we were thrilled that after inviting them, they decided to join us. Their beautiful daughter, Mia Grace, came with them and she is so sweet! We met them for dinner beforehand and we had to laugh when we realized Claire and Mia were wearing coordinated outfits all the way from their dresses to their white fur jackets!
After dinner we hustled over to the Performing Arts Center and met up with the rest of the family. Once again, Michael and Claire were thrilled to be with their cousins Alexander and Sierrah from Oregon. We all took our seats and waited for the show to begin. Earlier in the night, I had been telling Mia about the King Mouse and you could hear her saying 'Mouse' over and over to her parents. It was really cute. Her reaction was priceless when the King Mouse ran through the aisles of the auditorium!I was really curious how Matthew would do during the show. We have always brought our babies no matter how young they have been. We let them watch for as long as they will tolerate and then one of us heads out with them when they get cranky. The show started and Matthew (and all the other kids and adults for that matter) were immediately captivated. There is something very magical that happens when Marlene takes the stage. She really demands your attention and gets everyone interested in the performance. She narrates her way around the King Mouse, Mr. Drosselmeyer, Clara, and her brother Fritz. Before you know it, the performance has taken flight and you are just along for the ride. Because it is a children's performance, it is only one hour long. It is the perfect duration for the kids and they are able to sit still and enjoy the show. Matthew did very well and surprised me at how long he stayed captivated. He was doing great until one of the toy soldiers fired a toy gun. I should have remembered- but of course, I forgot. I thought he might overcome his fright but when I craned my neck around to look at his expression, his bottom lip was curled and he was drawing in air to let out a big cry (and cry he did!). I whisked him out and we watched the rest of the performance from the back of the theatre.
Damien has always had a passion for the Nutcracker and to be truthful- I kinda didn't get it. However, I must admit that I would be really sad to miss the performance during the holidays. It has worked its way into my heart and the hearts of my children. The Nutcracker, with it's rehearsals and performances, is a lot of work for Marlene. It is time consuming and hectic. She commutes from home, to the show and back, over and over. I am not sure how long she will continue to do this, but she should know the joy her performance brings to so many of us- not only her family, but the other patrons who have come year after year to see this particular performance. I love the magic, the spectacle, and the way it takes me away for an hour only to return me to life a little more ready for the holiday season to begin. I really look forward to the performance and after watching it- I am ready to jump head first into the spirit of Christmas and all it has to offer!
No comments:
Post a Comment