I was sitting in Michael's room with Gina, Michael and Claire the morning I was going to be leaving for Costa Rica. We were all hanging out and having a good time when I looked over at Claire's mouth. See, Claire has always had these sweet two front teeth that completely touched one other making one of the cutest mouths I have ever seen in my life. But as she turned my way, I noticed that she had a considerable gap between them. I told Gina, "Look how much Claire is growing! Even her teeth are spreading." We both quickly mourned the gap between her two front teeth. Gina always loved Claire's teeth, too. I scooted closer to her to get a better look. It looked strange. How could this gap just appear over night? I reached out to touch her front right tooth and it was super loose. I thought, How could this be? Her front teeth weren't even loose? How could she be losing her top teeth when she hasn't even lost her bottom teeth?
I sat for a few seconds trying to make sense of this. My first clue to the puzzle was the mysterious way the crib had broken the night before. I went to put Matthew to sleep in the crib around 9pm and noticed that entire sliding portion of the crib was off, posing serious danger if he somehow got wedged in there. But how did that happen? I called Damien in and showed him the crib and he was dumbfounded. Cribs just don't break like this and certainly Matthew isn't capable of breaking his crib (at least not yet). Because we were leaving the next day, Damien needed to fix the crib so we could leave my Mom with a functional place to put Matthew to sleep. But where was all the hardware (screws, bolts) that fell off the crib? We searched high and low until I saw something shiny under Matthew's dresser. Damien got lower to investigate and sure enough- there were all screws and brackets tucked neatly in a pile. Hmmmmm. Something was up.First clue- we have a broken crib. Second clue- Claire's front tooth is unusually loose. Third clue- The bandit (or bandits) that broke the crib tried to hide the evidence (screws). This called for a serious investigation. I asked Claire how her tooth got loose and she told me that she hit it on Matthew's dresser (which is right next to his crib). I asked her, Were you in Matthew's crib? She replied, "No." I left Claire and cornered Michael. "Hey Buddy, what happened to Matthew's crib? He told me that Claire was pulling on the sliding side. I asked him if she hit her mouth (because surely, if you hit your mouth hard enough to bust out your front tooth- someone would have noticed) but he had no real answer.
So, we have filed the case under "No Real Evidence to Support the New Gap in Claire's Teeth". As you have probably guessed, Claire lost her tooth while we were in Costa Rica. She lost it the day before we got home when Michael wrestled her to the ground and it just popped out. She wanted to wait for the tooth fairy to come until we came home (which I loved). I was a little nervous to see Claire with her new tooth- or lack there of. She woke up the next morning and came out to see me. She looked so big- a real big girl now. I was proud of her and happy that my Mom was here to help her though it. Now that I am more used to it, I love it. Clairey, Clairey. Such a character and now this only adds to her personality.
No comments:
Post a Comment