Saturday, March 15, 2008

Michael and Claire Play Soccer

I have so many wonderful sports memories from when I was younger. To be truthful, most of them revolve around soccer. Saturday mornings meant getting in my uniform as soon as I woke up, walking out to the family room with a blanket, and nuzzling up to the television to watch The Gummy Bears, The Smurfs, or whatever was in the cartoon line-up that morning. I would sit there with Jill and wait until my Dad told us it was time to go. I loved it!


I really want my kids to enjoy whatever it is they want to do. I don't want to push them- but instead encourage them to try new things. We signed Michael and Claire up to play Spring Soccer. Michael was all for it, but Claire was a bit more apprehensive. Because they are getting older- this would be the first time that they weren't on the same team. Claire really didn't like this! As much as the two of them bicker, she really needs him. Michael gives her the support and courage she needs sometimes to try something new- especially if it is in a new environment. I was proud of Claire though- she decided she could do it!


Michael is on an 8 and under boy's team called The Mighty Dragons. A couple of his buddies from his Kindergarten class are on the team and he is having the best time! They practice once a week and have games on Saturdays and he enjoys getting outside and running around. He mostly plays defense and seems to take the job pretty seriously. He cracks me up! So intense, so focused. It is such a thrill to seem him running around out there and watching his thought process as he maneuvers himself through the game.


Claire is on a 6 and under coed team called The Strikers. She didn't know anyone on the team but really did a good job of adapting. On the first day, they had the kids sit in a circle in order to introduce them to one another. They were supposed to say their name and their favorite food. She said, "My name is Claire and my favorite food is Tunafish Casserole." I don't know why, but hearing her say that made me laugh hysterically. Something about meeting new friends for the first time and tunafish casserole didn't sound right. Claire is really starting to understand the game and has a lot of fun at her games. To put it nicely, their team doesn't generally do that well (although as a team- they are getting a lot better!). They get scored on a lot and it is hard sometimes for the kids to not get defeated. Claire was really intense the first game and ran her little heart out. Each time the other team scored, I noticed that she started crying. Not the crying where she needed my support, but she was just so frustrated when they got beat. But she wiped her tears and kept going. I was really proud of her and after the game tried to help her understand that winning isn't everything. But let's be real here, I am still trying to learn this lesson. They now win and lose games (although in this league they don't keep score) but she doesn't cry or get frustrated. She just know that she needs to try her very best and whatever else happens is out of her control.


I love seeing the kids play during their practices and their games. What I didn't anticipate is how much more difficult two practices and two games a week would be! To think of the many activities I had each week as a child and to think that my sisters were really involved, too- makes me wonder how my parents stayed sane? I suddenly understand why the color-coded calendar my parents taped on the side of the cabinet was a necessity. With all the different activities- you have to stay on top of it or it might take you over!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute! my babies are growing up..and saving china. mulan anyone?

Anonymous said...

sounds like clairey's better at taking a loss than her mom. :)