At about 14 months, Matthew started walking. He took his first step in the very beginning of March and by the end of the month- he was on his way! I had figured this was the course that Matthew would take to being fully mobile. He is a pretty conservative little guy. In other words, he is not one of those children that will just walk down a flight of stairs or try and crawl off the bed. He usually checks out his surroundings before he makes a decision and for this- I am truly grateful. Being that he is the third child, I don't watch him as diligently as I did my other two. Any conservative attempts made by him are just fine by me!By the time we went up to see my family for Michael's birthday weekend, Matthew was happily walking around. At that point, he could take about 7 or 8 steps before he fell on his little bottom. I hadn't bought him shoes yet because I knew that it was best for kids to learn to walk barefoot. But being that Matthew is now totally interested in getting down from my arms and walking no matter the environment, I thought it best if we invested in a good pair of shoes.
My Mom suggested we go to the Stride Rite in the mall to get him some new shoes. Her treat- she insisted. Thanks MOM (and Dad, too)!!!!!! We found this great pair that would be perfect for the California climate. They have bottoms like a tennis shoe, but are open like a sport sandal. They can get wet and they velcro closed so I can adjust them as his foot gets bigger. He measured a 6 wide (which we had to laugh at as we have always thought he had skinny feet. I guess we were wrong!). As soon as the woman at the store put them on Matthew, he felt super cool. He wanted to walk alone and was actually really coordinated with them on. The funny part- though, is that he tried to run in them. He would start out slow and then start booking . . . and eventually bite the dust. It was really cute and just another little reminder that this sweet chubby guy is getting bigger and bigger. I better hold on for the ride!
1 comment:
how freaking cute. love it. :O)
Post a Comment