Saturday, October 25, 2008

Great Pumpkin Night!

I love tradition. For me- it is about the little things. The tiniest of pieces that make a single experience whole. I know that the kids love trick-or-treating, but I also know that they can't wait to have our annual halloween movie night and gather together as a family.

They knew that the night was on its way- but they really didn't know when we would have our yearly showing of, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. Damien and I wanted to keep it a surprise and so nonchalantly- we corralled the kids into our bedroom. He kept them occupied while I took all the blankets and pillows off of all the beds and laid them out in the family room. I turned off all of the lights in the house except for the illuminated pumpkins in the family room, preheated the oven to bake our Halloween cookies, and warmed up milk on the stove to make our hot chocolate. When everything was ready- I knocked on our bedroom door and then lead them by flashlight to the family room as they screamed with excitement. They knew it was the big night!! I swear, their favorite part of the night isn't the movie or the treats- but that all of our blankets and pillows are strewn about in one big cozy mess!

We had a great night! Matthew especially loved it because last year, he wasn't old enough to know how cool it was! This year he got to eat the cookies and drink the hot chocolate like a big kid. Toward the end of the movie- Damien and I shared a glance in which we both recognized our blessings and good fortune. We are so lucky to have these three beautiful children and to be able to get together and share in these traditions that bind us all.

4 comments:

Sheelagh said...

I love this idea. We might have to steal it and have our own Great Pumpkin Movie Night. What fun! Thanks for sharing all your fun ideas!!! ;-)

Danielle said...

How fun is that! I love how you led them into the room with a flashlight! Man, it's good to be your kids!

Unknown said...

I love it! Can I be one of your kids? :) I might have to steal this idea too...once Addison (and future siblings) are old enough!

Unknown said...

I just thought of something...do you do a similar thing with Rudolph (clay-mation version) and the Grinch (the original)? If not, maybe this needs to be a December tradition! Don't you remember LOVING each year when those were on network television?