We had Michael's parent teacher conference and it was great! So much progress, he is happy, thriving, and enjoying first grade! Damien and I really couldn't be happier. We sat with Michael's teacher for about fifteen minutes and it was really interesting to see what Michael is like in the classroom. At home, Michael is colorful, happy, competitive, dynamic and at times crazy! But what does Michael present at school? If you asked me- I would think that Michael is respectful, obedient, a good listener and well behaved. His teacher alluded to a lot of these traits (which I was pleased with). The conference was over and we were heading out the door when I motioned to Damien to look at a picture on the wall that Michael drew during his first week of school. It was pretty cute. It reads, I like to go to my school. I like to play with my cat. I like to play with Claire. Damien read it and then laughed. His teacher then said, "Isn't that funny?" Damien replied, "What is even funnier is that we don't have a cat!"
Michael's teacher laughed at Michael's vivid imagination and then realized that she forgot to tell us a funny story about Michael. About a month ago, the school music teacher was in their classroom preparing the class for the school mass for St. Francis of Assisi. At this mass kids can bring in their pets to be blessed. Well, she asked the class if anyone in the class had an exotic animal. Not a cat or a dog- but something unique. Apparently, Michael raised his hand and said he had a pet porcupine at home. His teacher asked him if she could call me and see if I would be willing to bring our porcupine in for the mass. He said she could call me. From what teacher told us- about three minutes went by when Michael raised his hand again. When called upon, he said, "Um, I think our porcupine died." His teacher said that both she and the music teacher laughed once the class was done.Being the pretty 'by the books' kind of kid that Michael is- I was so surprised to hear that he was able to find it in himself to say he had a porcupine. He must have been dying for the three minutes between saying he had one and then deciding to tell the teacher that it had died! I can only imagine how he squirmed red faced in his chair and tried to figure out how he was going to get out of the lie he had told. Poor guy. We all got such a kick out of this story and it shed a little light on the daring little Michael at school!
3 comments:
I'm dying over he-ah! That's hilarious - and, honestly, sounds like something Mikes would say! So cute!
That is too funny, Maddie's teacher told us she had learned to only believe about 50% of what her Kindergarten students tell her.
That is so funny! With improv skills and an imagination like that, he's got a future in acting!
Post a Comment