
August 11
th is St. Claire's Day. She is always so excited and beside herself as it starts getting closer. We weren't able to be with Grandpa this year so he helped plan 'her day' from a distance. I always ask the kids what they want for dinner on their Saint Days and Claire chose the ever popular Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and garlic bread. In a desperate creative attempt, I fashioned two pounds of meatloaf into a giant "C" without Claire knowing it. Not the most appetizing thing to an adult but so thrilling for a child! When I brought the platter to the table at dinner, Claire squealed with delight at the sight of the meatloaf and of course, Michael started complaining because he didn't get
meatloaf in the shape of a "J" for Joseph on his saint day. Well, I explained that he chose spaghetti with meat sauce on his saint day. Then Michael
proclaimed "Fine. I am going to choose meatloaf for next St. Joseph's Day!" I may have just cornered the market on Alphabet Shaped Meatloaf. Just wonderful.

We had a great dinner and then got Grandpa on the phone so Claire could open her gifts from him. He got her two Nintendo
DS Littlest Pet Shop games that were clearly a huge hit! She was so incredibly excited! Then we cut into the ceremonial
Baskin and Robbins cake which chosen by Claire was white cake with strawberry ice cream. Michael's wouldn't touch it because there was no chocolate in it and I couldn't get away from it because I LOVE the little frozen
dollops of frosting!

All in all, it was a great celebration in honor of my biggest baby girl. I will forever be grateful to my Dad for making my kids aware of their own saint days and for teaching them yet another way religion plays a role in their everyday lives. I have said many times before that my relationship with my Dad is something that I treasure. Since I can remember, he has always there for me. He has continued to be there for me as I have started a family of my own and now he is there for
Clairey . . . and she thinks the world of him. Claire and my relationship with my Dad has never been forced but instead just instinctive. She loves him the same way I love him and it means the world to me. Happy Saint Claire's Day and thanks Dad!
2 comments:
the meatloaf is priceless! i can only imagine how excited she was!
You are so creative! I love this post. I love this great tradition and the tribute to your dad. Dads are so amazing, it's awesome to see you cherish him.
Post a Comment