Clairey, Clairey, Clairey. I can't believe what a little lady you are turning into. I could have never imagined how big you would eventually be. It really is surreal how fast this is all happening. You used to be this sweet, little, curious baby and now you are a beautifully confident and amazing eight year old little girl. I am so proud of you and I am having the time of my life watching you learn and grow.
As you continue growing taller, I realize that we are getting closer to the day where you will be able to look me in the eyes. Your shoes are getting so big that at first glance, I often mistake them for my own. Your taste in clothing is becoming more sophisticated. It hurt me the other day when we went through your pajama drawer to donate pajamas that didn't fit and you wanted to get rid of all of your Disney Princess pajamas! You used to LOVE those princesses! You had birthday parties themed around them, you wanted to go see them in Disneyland, you loved wearing their pretend high heels around the house. I find it spectacular (and a bit sad, too) to watch your interests change.
These days, I see you struggle to hold onto the things you loved as a small child while you simultaneously branch out and try new things. For some reason, I am thrown back to the scene from Toy Story 2 where the little girl named Emily casts her favorite toy Jesse aside for more mature toys. You have a huge zipper bag of Littlest Pet Shops in your room and it just makes me so happy to see you play with them. (I know now that their days are numbered.) You will line them up and play with them for an hour. Then, no sooner will you switch gears and listen to Miley Cyrus or some other current singer on your CD player. I love this balance about you. You are doing an amazing job of holding onto the old while discovering the new.
Yesterday, you asked me if you could go and get your haircut. You pulled your long hair up to the length that you wanted it to be and then admired yourself in the mirror. You are so confident and I really do believe that you love yourself inside and out which is every parents dream. I love your new haircut. Although it does make you look so much older, I think you look so beautiful and you are just glowing.
This year it was hard to figure out what to get you since you are growing and changing so much! We couldn't help but get you things we knew you would love. A few of your favorites were the Webkinz plush toys, Littlest Pet Shop figures, and this pack of 200 eraser toys that you and your siblings adore. My favorite thing I got you were size 12 panda footie pajamas. You are so tall but look absolutely adorable in them! I still remember when my Mom got me a lavender pair when I was about your age.
Clairey, you are just so much fun. We loved taking you to Benihanas tonight. We loved watching you order what you wanted and loved watching you enjoy the show they put on in front of you. You just loved every minute of it! We came home and sang Happy Birthday to you with your favorite cake (yellow cake with homemade chocolate frosting). You made a wish and even though I promised I wouldn't tell anyone what you wished for- you wouldn't tell me. Good for you! What I loved the most was that at the end of the night, you came over to me and said 'thank you' from what I believe was the bottom of your heart. You recognized every effort Dad and I made to make your birthday the best it could be and told me how lucky you were to have me as your Mom. I know you are the one that is supposed to receive gifts on your birthday, but that compliment is the greatest gift I could have ever asked for today. We love you Claire. Happy 8th Birthday!
Monday, September 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Beautiful post Lisa...
Post a Comment