I love not only the school community at St. Christopher's but the parish community, as well. It is such a wonderful group of people who are so willing to support both the church and the school. There are tons of people who volunteer and organize both school and parish events that are just so spectacular. Growing up, my school/church (Holy Family) had such amazing festivals, picnics, and parties. It is a tough act to follow but St. Chris meets and even surpasses it in many ways.
The Parish Picnic is a fantastic event that is usually held in a big park and has so much to offer the families in attendance! We missed last years picnic and were excited to see the picnic in it's new location at Kelley Park (next to Happy Hollow). It starts with an outdoor Mass for all the families and people in attendance and immediately rolls over into an awesome barbecue lunch.
The kids love it because all of their friends are there and they get to run around and try all the goodies and activities. All you pay is a flat family rate which I think was $35 and the whole family has access to an unlimited amount of BBQ lunch (complete with awesome sides), sodas, snow cones,cookies, cotton candy, popcorn, fun in the jumpy houses, face painting, balloons from a balloon maker, stress balls made from a juggler and more!
This year, Damien entered his famous (at least they are to me) chocolate chip walnut cookies. I believe he officially named them Worth the Wait Chocolate Chip Cookies. His recipe is fashioned after Mrs. Fields and these special cookies bake for twenty-two minutes instead of the regular nine to eleven minutes- hence the name. I am saddened to report that he didn't win first, second or third! All the cookies were auctioned off and wouldn't you know who had to buy the first place cookies to try them. Our entire family agreed that Damien was robbed. I am not being biased here. I was not a fan of the number one cookies.
Michael and Claire had such a great time. They battled in the tug-o-war competition as well as competed in the three legged race. Emily was super tired and fussy so we needed to leave before the watermelon eating contest which did not go over well with them! I am so happy to be part of a parish/school community that makes us feel at home and supported. My kids look forward to this picnic year round and they are already talking strategy for the competitions now! Damien says he officially retires from the cookie baking contest. Only time will tell if he can hold out!