Thursday, December 09, 2010

Matthew's Christmas Program

I can't believe Matthew is old enough to be in a Christmas program.  It just doesn't seem like he is any older than two years old!  Yet, here he is knocking on the door of age four and I am plain and simply two years behind.  For me- Matthew is somehow frozen in time at the age of two.  Don't think that this doesn't have anything to do with the timing of Emily's birth.  I think I will always think of him as my baby.  I suppose I should get over it and realize that my sweet little guy is getting older.

Matthew was so excited for his program at school!  They have been working on it for well over a month and he wasn't sure if he should let us in on all of the details or keep it a secret until the day of the show!  All he told me in advance was that he was going to be saying, Thump, thump, thumpety.  Thump, thump, thumpety.  I was excited to see him perform because his school puts on the cutest show!  I saw it three times when Michael and Claire went to preschool there and couldn't wait to see Matthew follow in their footsteps.

Our good friends, Brian and Karen, send their son Luke to Ballard Montessori, too!  Matthew and Luke have really developed such a sweet and dependant relationship.  They both wait for each other in the mornings at drop off and even have play dates outside of school.  It is really too sweet.  It was fun to see the both of them up there performing and being such big boys.

The show was absolutely darling.  Both Matthew and Luke did just what they were supposed to do and looked cute doing it!  Matthew, who is normally so full of expression and emotion, was just going through the motions.  He yawned a few times, and sang when he felt like it.  I don't think he was so interested in performing necessarily- I think he was more concerned with standing in the right place and playing his part in the production.  Did he know all of the songs?  Yes!  But he wasn't about to sing them just because everyone else was!

After the show, we went to downtown San Jose's Christmas In The Park.  The kids always love this and it is a good time for us to just enjoy the sounds and the sights of the season.  It was a warm night and really comfortable.  Emily was absolutely enamored with all of the decorations and trees while the other three kids were more concerned with riding some of the rides and playing tag amongst the crowds of people.  We toured around the park and waited for the kids to get hungry so we could grab some dinner.

All in all, it was a great evening.  Matthew is amazing.  He has transitioned so well to preschool and really is such a sweetheart.  The other kids were such great sports and behaved as well throughout the night.  I am so proud to be the Mommy of these kids.  Yes, at times my job is TOUGH.  But all the hard work is well worth it.

No comments: