Monday, April 27, 2009

Heat Wave

Back in January, we were spoiled with the most amazing weather here. It tricked so many of us into thinking we were inching out of Winter only to be smacked in the face with weeks and weeks of rain (which California desperately needed so it made it okay). If you have ever lived in this area or have been lucky enough to travel here during the Spring months- you know how amazing the weather is here. Warm enough so that you can wear shorts and get a tan, but not too hot where you don't want to go outside. For the most part, our summers are great but there are days that are just so stinkin' hot that you crank the AC up and hang out inside until just before dinner time.

My Mom and Gina timed it just perfectly to be here for our first major heat wave this Spring. We've had a lot of beautiful 80 degree days so far but this heat wave was going to turn it up a notch! During the prime hours of the afternoon it was about 99 degrees on Monday and Tuesday and smokin' hot (to quote bret Michaels). We had just gotten a new pool for the kids and they made the most of it and had an absolute ball while running around in their little birthday suits! We took Claire to gymnastics and when we drove her home around 5:30 p.m. it was still in the 90s and felt awesome! We came home and barbecued and had corn on the cob and watermelon (two of my summer staple foods) and let the kids splash us with water and enjoyed every minute of sunlight we were given. It was just a tease for the weather that is on the way and I can't wait to spend more time outside just enjoying the great outdoors. I will say- one drawback was that I found that my legs were swollen because of the heat. I made sure that I drank a lot of water but I just think I am going to have to deal with whatever side effects the heat gives me and go along for the ride. After all- I only have about six weeks left of this pregnancy and would totally prefer beautiful weather and a little swelling than weather that was dark and dismal that might bum me out. On a side note- my sister in law, Lani, found me the sun lounger that I have been searching for for the last three weeks. When bedrest comes and even in the interim with my preventative bedrest, I want to be able to kill some time laying outside but needed a lounger that would lay completely flat and not break the bank. I searched and searched, in a wheelchair and all, and found nothing that wasn't like $80. A huge thanks to Lani for finding me my holy grail!!!

1 comment:

Nan said...

Ahhh the chase lounge you were searching for has finally been found. Congrats! What I would do for one day in your sunshine. PS - nice Bret Michaels quote - too many nights of Rock of Love viewing.