Friday, June 12, 2009

Emily's Birth Story

When my doctor told me that she had scheduled my cerclage removal for June 12th, my mind started racing. What would that day hold? Would we meet our new baby that day or would I be sent home to wait for the onset of later which could take days or even weeks. In preparation, my Mom flew in from Washington to be here to help me in whatever way she could. It was hard not to know if the baby would come when she was here or if we would have to wait! In the days preceding the cerclage removal- I cleaned, organized, prepped, and got everything and anything I could ready for the possible birth of baby #4.

Before we knew it, June 12th was here and we were giddy with excitement to see what would happen that day! I called Labor and Delivery at 7:00 a.m. to see if my procedure was still on and much to my delight- it was! My Mom, Damien, and I headed to the hospital and started the beginning to a long and exciting day. When I get my cerclage removed, I have to have it done with anesthesia and in an operating room. I really wanted to go through natural labor if the baby were to come so I asked the anesthesiologist if it were possible for me to get an epidural instead of a spinal. That way- if they were to induce labor, the epidural could wear off and I could experience natural childbirth as I had wanted. He thought that was a great idea and I received my epidural and waited to be wheeled into the OR. I was nervous and excited at the same time. With Matthew- I dilated to 7cm immediately once the cerclage was removed. There was no guarantee this would happen again so we waited patiently to hear the play by play from the doctor.

We went to the OR and they started prepping me for the procedure. Upon removing the first of two stitches- I dilated immediately to 3 cm. When she went to remove the top stitch- she said that she couldn't really get a hold of it because it was embedded in my cervix (which isn't a concern because these particular stitches will just absorb into your body). You can only imagine how much pressure must have been on that one stitch as it held the whole pregnancy together! She looked over the blue curtain and said that because I was only 3 cm- she was going to send me home. I have to admit- I was sick to my stomach. Go home? That wasn't what I wanted to hear. Before she finished the procedure, she realized I was having a contraction and that with the contraction- I went to 4 cm. Then she tried again to get the stitch out by massaging it and I went to 5 cm, then 6 cm and she changed her mind and said it was baby time! Yes! I was so relieved that we were going to get the show on the road. As we were leaving the operating room, she came over and said to me, "Some studies have shown that there is no such thing as an incompetent cervix. Well, they haven't met you!" We shared a laugh and they wheeled me back to room #8 where I first started that morning.

Damien went and told my Mom (who was in the waiting room) that it was baby time. We were all so happy that today would be Daniel or Emily's birthday! Once back in the room, they immediately started pitocin and after an hour of light labor- my doctor came in and broke my water. At this point I had about 90% sensation back from the epidural. I could definitely feel the contractions but they weren't painful yet, just uncomfortable. Things quickly took a more painful turn as the contractions came more frequently. The nurse came in about every thirty minutes to turn up the pitocin and it certainly made a difference. In the room were a lot of family and friends. I was so happy that friends and family were going to be there to experience this baby's birth. In the room were Damien, my Mom, my friend Karen, my sister-in-laws Heather and Ali, and my Mother-in-law Marlene. It was a packed room but I got strength from each and every one of them. I was starting to get really uncomfortable contractions in bed so the nurse asked if I wanted to labor on a birthing ball. At first I was sure I wouldn't want to do it but I tried it and loved it. It freed up most of my body and allowed me to relax my back and joints with each painful contraction. Soon, the contractions were coming every two minutes- lasting about a minute each time and giving me one minute to rest.

My kids were waiting in the waiting room and I really wanted them to be able to come in while I was in labor so that they might feel like they were a part of the process. Damien didn't think it was a good idea but I insisted on it and he went and got them. They waiting outside the room until I finished a contraction and then for the next minute I let them come in, hug me, ask questions, and check things out. When I started having another contraction- I gave Damien the look and he distracted them for a minute and then they came back and talked with me.

Michael was so sweet. He was eager to know if the baby had come and had a lot of questions about the machines and the ball I was sitting on. Then he said to me, "Mom- you are doing a really good job." What a kid. He gave me a little extra strength and warmed my heart.

Claire could not hide how excited she was. She really didn't have a lot to say, she just smiled and rubbed my shoulder. The look in her eyes was beautiful. She understood the wonder of it all and knew that very soon she would have a new brother or sister.

Matthew, my sweet baby boy, was a little hesitant. He looked at my arm and didn't like the IV. He was wide eyed and tried to figure out what was going on. I put my arms out to hold him and he leaned over and let me squeeze and love him. I kept thinking that the next time I saw him; he wouldn't be my littlest baby anymore. We took some pictures and after three contractions with them in the room- I could barely fake anymore that I wasn't being crippled by the pain of contractions. They were whisked away to the waiting room again and I continued to labor towards delivery.

At this point- I had been in pretty hard labor for about three hours (contractions every two minutes) and I was getting discouraged as Matthew's entire labor was just under three hours and here I was- not making progress as quickly as I would've liked. I was 7 cm and I could feel this baby trying to descend but he/she just couldn't make the transition. When I labor, I am very quiet. In fact, I don't make a peep. I wouldn't have ever expected my labors to go this way but it is the best way I can deal with pain and stay in control. I breathe through the contractions and imagine the baby moving down. I feel that if I make noise- I might lose control and expose the pain I am feeling and then panic. I think that when you are in labor- you have to stay in control. The minute you start to lose control is when I think you could go crazy! I was bound and determined to deliver this baby naturally but the epidural catheter taped to my back tempted me to just get some pain relief because I felt like I was dying! Several times my nurse asked if I wanted some narcotics and I was so tempted to just get some but I knew I would be disappointed later on. I labored on and waited and waited to feel that sensation of the baby dropping. I was 9 cm and the baby was still at zero station. They suggested I stand up and labor standing and I tried that but it was the most painful and uncomfortable position I could imagine! After about ten minutes of this, they wanted me to try laboring in the bed again. It hurt so much to crawl into the bed and I believe it was at this point- I felt really scared. I rolled over onto the bed, grabbed the side bed rail and immediately felt the baby shoot down into the birth canal. Because I was out of my mind at this point, Damien had to piece together for me what happened in the next ten minutes. Apparently my doctor came just as the baby descended and they noticed the fetal heart rate plummet. This was a sign of head compression and they knew the baby was going to come out.

From what Damien said, they dropped the bottom of the bed and asked me to roll over and put my feet on the stirrups. I was in such intense pain, even this motion seemed impossible. The baby was so low and I just wanted it to be over! They told me to pull my legs back and hold onto the back of my knees but I couldn't grab my knees because it hurt so badly. Damien had one leg and my Mom had the other and they pushed my legs toward my chest as I tried to push my legs forward. Damien tried to encourage me as I pushed for the first time by saying he could see the head- but I thought he meant he could see just a small amount. With the second push of that contraction, her head came out. It was so fast. With the next contraction, and two pushes I delivered the rest of her and I was so surprised she came out so quickly. I think the entire pushing phase lasted just under six minutes. As the doctor pulled the baby out, she held it over me and said to Damien, "Dad- tell everyone what you have!" Just before Damien shouted the news, I saw the baby's private part and couldn't believe what I saw. "It's a Girl!" Damien shouted and everyone in the room went absolutely crazy. She laid her on my chest and I just put my arms around her and said, "Emily!"

This birthing moment was unbelievable. Emily's labor was not only the longest of all of my four labors, but also the most difficult. After six hours of intense labor- she was here. After I got all cleaned up- Damien went out and got the kids. They cautiously walked in and saw me lying in bed with the baby. They looked at me eagerly and I said to them, "Michael, Claire, and Matthew- you have a new baby . . . sister!" Claire smiled as big as I have ever seen her smile and covered her mouth with her hands. Michael gave me such a sweet grin and Matthew looked at me as confused as he did when he came to see me earlier. She was here. Emily was part if our family. We couldn't believe it. Almost immediately- they wanted to see her hands, her feet, and verify she was a girl! The nurse weighed Emily and she weighed 8 pounds 1 ounce and she measured 19 1/2 inches long. At this moment- I was so happy she came 3 1/2 weeks early because she would have been a very big full term baby!

After a good 20 minutes on my chest- the nurses took Emily over to the examination table and noticed she was breathing a bit rapidly. They decided they were going to take her up to the NICU to observe her and I completely agreed with their decision. After all- Claire was my only baby to never set foot in a NICU so this was par for the course. Damien went up with her and my Mom stayed with me while I recovered. Emily's breathing eventually recovered but they then realized she had low blood sugar. They suggested giving her some formula and over the next hour- Damien fed her 30 cc of it and it did the trick! I was wheeled up to the NICU to see her and hold her and I was there when they told me we could take her back to our room! This news was fantastic and Damien and I spent the rest of the night gazing at our newborn baby girl.

While I avoided many scares over the last nine months- it was a long nine months full of intense emotion. I thank God so much for blessing me with the strength needed to get through everything, with blessing me with such a healthy pregnancy, with a healthy daughter, with supportive family and friends who gave me so much support, and with the most wonderful children who through it all- adjusted and made life as easy as possible for their Mommy. A special thank you to my husband who never ceases to amaze me with his strength, love, support, and patience. I couldn't have done it without him. We made it. Thank you God for Emily. She is truly our little angel.

7 comments:

Kylie Heintz said...

What a beautiful story! I felt like I was right there with you rooting you on and it brought back so many memories... :) Congratulations. You have a very beautiful family! :)

Love,
Kylie

the uffelmans said...

being a part of this was one of the most amazing things that i have experienced. thank you so much for sharing it with me - it was such a gift and i feel truly lucky. when damien said "it's a girl" i couldn't breathe!! it was just too amazing... and you are by far one of the strongest women i know. just like the other three, emily is so lucky to have such wonderful parents. love you guys!!

Danielle said...

Wow Lisa, what a fantastic story. You told it so well, I don't think I blinked once the whole time I was reading it! Congratulations and great job. I'm so happy for you all and I can't wait to meet Emily one of these days!!

JKS said...

Thank you, thank you , thank you for writing the story down and sharing it on your blog. I have been curious to hear how it all went- the gory details, so to speak- and this is a great telling of it. I'm impressed that you found time to write it all down. We wish you and your new little lady all the happiness in the world and our love goes to Damien and the kids as they enjoy their newest family member. We can't wait to see you all!

Anonymous said...

It was such an amazing day and I was blessed to be a part of it. I was so overcome with excitement and relief upon the safe delivery of baby Emily, following your arduous journey with this pregnancy. Thank you for retelling this story so accurately and beautifully for us.
Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story! What an amazing account of Emily's entrance into the world. She will be so grateful of this someday! I'm so inspired by you...you give me strength to know that I can push this baby out! And it's going to be a beautiful experience. Thanks again for sharing....
XOXO Anna

Sheelagh said...

Go Lisa Go!!! You are amazing! I finally had the chance to read this post all the way through! It's a long, but important one and I wanted to hear the whole story.

What an amazing birth. It's sounds tough, but you did it! That's great that your kids were able to join you for a while. And that you resisted the urge to get an epidural too! WOW! 6 hours of intense labor! That sounds really difficult. But it's all so worth it and you did it, with the wonderful reward of a healthy and beautiful baby girl to hold and snuggle at the end of it all.

I'm over joyed for your wonderful family. And again you had me in tears!