Saturday, February 20, 2010

Emily's Baptism

Today is a wonderful day! Our sweet Emily Anne was baptized. It was a gorgeous day in Kirkland. Honestly, one of the nicest February days I have ever experienced there. Surrounded by family and friends who love her so much, Emily joined God's family and we couldn't feel more blessed!

We are not the most organized 'baptizers' you have ever met. Sometimes when I am at Mass- I see these teeny tiny babies getting baptized and think how organized their parents must be to have them baptized so young! Michael was baptized when he was about ten months old, Claire was the youngest to be baptized at six months old, Matthew was eight months old, and Emily was finally baptized when she was eight months old. It feels amazing to have all four of my kids baptized and to close this chapter in our lives. In only a few short months- Michael will receive his First Communion so at least we won't have multiple Sacraments happening at the same time!

We decided to baptize Emily at Holy Family Catholic Church in Kirkland, Washington (my hometown). Not only is this my family's parish, it was my Catholic grade school church, I received my Sacraments there, Damien and I were married there, my parents were married there, and Claire and Matthew were also baptized there. This church holds a lot of meaningful memories and I am so glad we were able to organize and schedule all of the necessary parts that went into making this weekend a wonderful success.

Emily has a lot of people in her life that love her and we knew that we wanted as many of those loving people to be there on her special day. Damien's mom and his sister Lani were able to fly up to celebrate with us and I am so incredibly touched by their effort and love for my little baby. It meant a lot to me that they would switch their schedules around and pull a lot of strings to be with us today!!! Damien's Dad lovingly offered to stay back with is brother and his grandparents who were ill so that Marlene could share in Emily's special day. We absolutely acknowledge his sacrifice!

We are thrilled that my sisters Natalie and Laura and our good friends Keith and Dan agreed to be Emily's Godparents. What a wonderful group of people to lead her in her life of faith. We feel so wonderful about the four of them and are honored that they were next to her as she joined God's family! Fr. Art Liebscher, SJ presided over the baptismal ceremony. He is a very special part of our family. Fr. Art is a Jesuit at Santa Clara University, married us, and has baptized all of our children. What a gift it was to have him here today.

The ceremony was beautiful. My favorite part of the today (other than seeing Emily squeezed into her darling baptismal gown) was Fr. Art's homily during Mass. I was so emotional and wish that I could recall more of it to share with you. In so many words, Fr. Art spoke of the lives of many honored Saint Emilys. All of these Saint Emilys led lives deeply rooted in the vocation of faith. They were motherly, they were so giving, they were sensitive to humankind, and they made the world and the time in which they lived a more rich and blessed place. Fr. Art then spoke about the life of our little Emily. He touched on the idea that she has yet to really set foot in the world but if she is anything like her namesakes- she will live a life that will most definitely touch the lives of others. To hear these words while looking at the sweet face of my daughter was so deeply touching. I cannot wait to see what my beautiful girl will offer the world.

After the ceremony, we all headed back to my parent's house for a reception and it was nothing short of fantastic! The weather was unbelievable and most everyone went out on the deck and could see the Olympic Mountains peeking over Lake Washington in the distance. People played basketball, soccer, sat at tables and caught up with one another. It was just what I envisioned would happen and was so much fun. Again, it was nice having people from Damien's family present to represent his amazing family and to bring some his family into mine. I was very touched to have both of my Grandmas present. Emily has three Great Grandmothers with us today and it was beautiful that two of them could be there. I was touched by the many people in our lives who were with us today who showed us how much we mean to you- so thank you!

I am so happy that Emily is baptized. As I close this chapter in my life, I thank God again for blessing me with these beautiful, healthy, amazing children and I am glad they are all officially a part of His family. Emily, you look beautiful today. We are already so proud of you and cannot wait to explore life with you, ride the waves of your success with you, hold your hands through the your more difficult times, and love you know matter the circumstance. We love you so much and congratulate you on your baptism.

1 comment:

Brook said...

What a great day Lisa! God has surely blessed you and your family. You deserve it :-)