
Back in August- Damien informed me that the destination for the his company's 2010 Club trip was going to be in Jamaica. I sighed and thought how nice it would be to sit on a beach and relax- without a worry in the world. At the time- I had a two month old baby in my arms and knew that even if he qualified- I wouldn't be able to go. Back in March of 2008 we took an amazing trip to
Costa Rica and I have found myself often drifting back to those memories to sustain me during some of my more difficult times trying to juggle the lives of my four children. As the end of 2009 approached, it was looking more and more like Damien was going to hit his quota and qualify for the trip. What a tease! What a waste this trip would be. I couldn't leave Emily at home when she was this young. I had the
poor me's for a while- sulking about this giant trip that was dangling over my head. Uhh. Well, the end of the year came and wouldn't you know- my husband
did qualify for Club. Part of me thought that maybe we would try and go but the 'what would a GOOD mom do?' question would quickly squash all of my silly hopes.

I called my Mom on the phone and told her about the trip and what a waste it would be. She then quickly turned things on me and told me that she and Natalie would fly down and watch my kids while we went away. What? My head was spinning. Should I do this? Should I really do this? She then said, "If someone offered to watch you five kids so Dad and I could get away- I would've jumped at the chance!" It was then that I knew I had to go. The kids would be fine. I would be fine. In fact- I would be better than fine because I WAS GOING TO JAMAICA!!!!

Oh my gosh, it was hard to leave the house when the town car came to pick us up to take us to the airport. I kissed all my kids and was really quiet on the drive up. My heart was aching, my stomach hurt but I just knew I had to keep moving forward. It would all be okay. Sure enough, after my typical twenty minute silence buffer, I was in good spirits and so excited to get out of town! Damien's brother was able to upgrade us to first class (I know, as if the trip couldn't get any better) and it was the flight of a lifetime! The seats went all the way back so we could lay flat, they gave us a really nice comforter for the flight to Miami, and I slept from take off to touch down (which was good since it was a red eye flight and we landed in Miami at 4:00 a.m. our time). We spent a few hours in Miami before heading to Jamaica. When we landed in Jamaica- it was if we were in a movie. The Jamaican accent is just beautiful! The land was beautiful, the weather was beautiful, and we were so happy. Ahhh. We needed this!

We arrived at the Ritz Carleton in Montego Bay, Jamaica and quickly met with the woman and her staff who were organizing the Club trip for Damien's company. Everything was so well thought out, organized and they had an awesome five day all expense paid trip planned out for us. We retreated to our room which was so pretty and luxurious and got ready to get some lunch on the beach. I seriously felt like I was dreaming and just knew I had to live in the moment because life with four busy busy kids was at home waiting for me! That night we had an ocean side dinner on the beach and it was a 'barefoot only' reception. Toes in the sand with my husband- this was just too much.

The next morning we headed to a great destination called Dunns River Falls. Everyone in our group went and it was hailed as a 'must see and experience attraction' in this part of Jamaica and I was really excited. Dunns Falls did not disappoint! Basically you follow a path all the way down to the beach where you see a giant cascading waterfall. We were all given water shoes and started to hike up these long falls and it was amazing! Sometimes you had to hold hands with a lot of people in a long chain to traverse the rocks but other times you just tried your best to get good footing and climb. It was about a 45 minute long experience and one I will never forget. The one thing I would like to forget were the banana spiders which you could see in giant webs in the trees. That was a bit scary but otherwise- it was just breathtaking! That evening we dined at the White Witch Golf Course and it was so gorgeous. I was so happy I decided to come on this trip.

That night in the lounge- we met up with a lot of people that Damien knew and were having a great time. There was a beautiful Jamaican woman in there singing Bob Marley and we were enjoying catching up with friends while listening to her sing. She wandered over our way singing
No Woman No Cry. Then she handed Damien the microphone which then brings me to one of my most proud moments of Damien. If you know Damien, you know he does dialects
really well. And let me tell you, his Jamaican accent is pretty good. He starts singing
No Woman No Cry and everyone starts going crazy! The woman didn't dare take the microphone back because (and I am not exaggerating) people in the lounges next door started coming in to see who was singing. The next thing I know, strangers are taking his picture while he is singing, and our group is just laughing hysterically at what was happening. I watched with immense pride for about the first minute before I realized I had better get some of this on video! I got a few minutes worth and I am so happy we have it! He sang it so well and someone even asked him if he was a professional singer! It was so awesome! Definitely one of his finer moments and one I will NEVER forget. Classic.

The next day, we decided we wanted to just hang out at the beach and do next to nothing. After a few hours of just vegging out- we took a Hobbie Cat ride out into the ocean driven by one of the guys who worked at the hotel. It was so cool. We were out there for about twenty-five minutes or so and it was so spectacular. Our driver noticed that I was holding onto the side of the boat with white knuckles and he asked me, "Why are you worried? No problems mon. No problems." He was right. Most of the locals we met there all seemed to have this cool relaxed outlook on life. Why worry when things will most probably be okay? I took what he said to heart and loosened my grip. I needed to relax. That was why I was there. No worries. No worries.

The next day we went to go swim with dolphins . . . in the ocean! How cool is that? On these Club trips you can pick from a bunch of different activities. Our first urge was to go to the spa but then we figured we could do that anywhere! These dolphins were amazing. We were able to hug them, kiss them, touch their teeth, tickle them, and be right up next to these human like mammals. They are so smart and it was so spectacular to be able to get so close to them while being out in their element. I am so happy we did this and our kids think we are the coolest now that they have seen the pictures!

We also went snorkeling off one of the Hobbie Cats that afternoon. Basically, our hotel guide took the boat out about ten minutes into the ocean, dropped anchor and let us swim. I have a love/hate relationship with snorkeling. Yes, I love the sight of the beautifully colored fish in their own habitat but I prefer they stay at an arms reach because it freaks me out when they get too close! I am most afraid of eels but luckily- they said they don't see them there much. We dove off the boat and were having a great time until I saw a small jelly fish under Damien's stomach. I did my best underwater scream to alert Damien and let him know what was near him and pushed him away from the jelly. Then the paranoid part of me went above water, yelled to our guide and asked if it was okay if there were jelly fish out here! He said it was okay but if we saw a bunch- to swim in. So, if you know me- I was
no longer snorkeling but on 'Jelly Fish Watch' to make sure we weren't in danger. I know that I tend to be a bit dramatic when it comes to animals/fish but I didn't want to be stung! Once I started searching- I saw a ton of them. They were all clear so you couldn't seem them unless you were a crazy lady like me- peering through the blue waters until I saw one. I came above water and yelled to Damien, "I'm out. I'm out!" I started swimming as fast as I could to the boat. We didn't have flippers so I was doing my best to get the heck outta there while battling the saltwater swells which had me swallowing tons of water while trying not to panic. Basically, if you are stuck in middle of the ocean, you don't want me there to try and save you. After about ten minutes of what I would consider 'serious yet pathetic swimming' I made it to the boat completely out of breath. Phew. No stings, I was safe. Now let's get back to shore. Turns out- the anchor got stuck under the coral. Uh huh. Just my luck. I was DONE with the ocean but had to be patient and let our guide get us free!

That night we went a catered dinner at the Jerk Center on the Ritz Carleton property and enjoyed the meal so much! The jerk seasoning is so flavorful and just so tasty and all of the meat was so tender. We had a great time trying the fare of this beautiful island and just enjoying the peace of it all as we felt the end of our trip inching nearer. We had such a blast that evening. The people in Damien's company are so nice and so fun to talk with and it was cool to catch up with people from all across the world!

On our last full day, we spent the majority of it lounging pool or beach side and ordering out meals to our lounge chairs. Rough life, huh. I realized that I hadn't thought too much about the kids while I was enjoying my time in Jamaica. I really thought I would be obsessing over them- but I wasn't. We called home a couple of times a day but because I knew they were in such great care- my mind was at ease and for the first time in a couple years . . . my mind was quiet. I could hear myself think. I could do what I wanted to do without having to budget for nap times and meals to cook. I took it easy and loved hanging out with Damien and being able to have uninterrupted conversations and just being guaranteed time to enjoy one another. It was just what the doctor ordered.

On the last night, Damien had his awards ceremony. Once again, I was proud of him and all of his accomplishments. I get complimented a lot about how well I seem to manage four kids and our hectic life. I don't think Damien gets the credit he deserves because not only does he work so hard to be successful, he makes time to be with his family, he is attentive to all of us, he has his priorities straight and I think
he makes it look easy! I was happy for him that he was acknowledged for his his hard work. Everyone likes it when people appreciate what they do and how well they do it. It was his time and I was really happy for him.

After the delicious dinner, there was another barefoot reception on the beach with a giant bonfire and these beautiful little lit up cabanas that you could relax in as we all enjoyed our last night in Jamaica. We loved our time in Jamaica. In fact, I can't even tell you something that I didn't enjoy because I loved it all! The Ritz was amazing, the weather was incredible, the group of people were really fun, I loved being there with my husband, the people of the island were incredibly friendly and genuinely nice, we felt safe at all times, and we got to experience so many new things together. I love staying at home with my kids. At first I felt bad that I was going to leave them, but I know I will be a better Mom for having had some time to myself to relax, reflect, and let go. We had a great time on our trip and I sincerely hope we get to return to Jamaica again!
2 comments:
John and I want to know where Damien works!?!?! We need a vacation and this one sounds amazing! Just what you needed. You are blessed with a wonderful family and some great surprises!
You definitely deserved this vacation Lisa! I am so glad you went. You and Damien must have had a great time! We stopped in Jamaica on the cruise we took for our honeymoon, isn't Dunn's Falls crazy!
Post a Comment