Monday, February 22, 2010

Feeding the Ducks

Seeing as though the weather in Kirkland was nothing short of AMAZING, we had to capitalize on some of the more summertime events while we were up north! I just love the waterfront. I love that I can see the lake from my parents deck, I love that as you round their driveway- the lake is in plain view. It is just such a beautiful place to live. Something about it just makes me calm and relaxed. As a child, I spent many a summer day on the same beaches I take my kids to now. It is special to show them some of my favorite places and tell them stories so they can piece together some of my past.

One of my favorite places is the Kirkland Marina. My Mom used to take us down there with a huge bag full of stale bread and we would feed the ducks for what seemed like forever. We just loved it. My kids seem to love it just as much and who wouldn't? The ducks are so friendly and they come up really close which makes my kids laugh hysterically. It was fun having Kyle with us this time because they just love hanging out with their cousin. This was Emily's first time really seeing ducks. She was completely fascinated with how they moved and swam to get the bread. Pretty soon, she'll want to feed them, too!

After we went to the Marina, we went to get some cheeseburgers at a great little burger joint. The kids loved the impromptu picnic lunch and we walked over to Houghton Beach where there is a great play structure they could play on. Again, I played there when I was a kid and was even pictured in the newspaper when I was photographed buried in the sand. I told the kids this story and they asked if they could bury themselves in the sand and I told them maybe in the summer when it is hot and they are in their bathing suits. We'll see if they remind me of my promise this summer! Note to self: Do not let Michael swing on tire swing even if he BEGS me to go. Every time he goes on a tire swing, he pukes and then is totally sick for a few hours!

We had a great trip in Kirkland. The baptism was wonderful and we had a lot of down time to just relax and have some fun with my family. Damien, Michael, and Claire went back two days before Matthew, Emily, and me. While I missed them, it was nice for me to just have some time with my two littlest kiddos and give them a lot of attention. I had a lot of time with Michael and Claire when they were babies so it was nice to be able to give Emily and Matthew the same . . . for just a few short days. We had an amazing trip I can't wait until we visit again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the kids feeding the ducks and looking out onto the lake.
Nonna Mom