Sunday, September 12, 2010

Emily is 15 Months Old

Emily had her fifteen month check-up today.  It amazes me how fast she is growing.  Lately, when I look at her- I see a little girl emerging.  The little baby that was seemingly in my arms yesterday isn't easy to be found.  She has turned into a full fledged toddler!  She walks, she runs, she babbles, she knows what she wants, she thinks she has it all figured out!  And for the most part- she does!

Personality wise these days, Emily is a super happy baby.  She is content most of the time and smiles and laughs all day long!  Since she was a baby, she was never a real crier.  She is tough, tough, tough and even when she falls and bites the dust- she just gets up and keeps moving.  When she falls and cries, you know she is really hurt.  She is strangely strong.  In fact, when she is sitting on the floor, she never uses her hands to get up!  When I show people this, they can't believe it!  She lifts heavy things and tries to carry them to me- grunting all the way.  I think she is a little brute and I have taken to calling her Brutus from time to time.  She is just crazy!

Emily understands rules and boundaries most of the time but that doesn't mean that she will adhere to them.  She knows I told her not to ruin Matthew's lego ship but can't help herself.  She is so interested in her siblings that she can't help but get into their things and want to do what they are doing!  She knows she shouldn't hit but can't keep her big paws away from us.  I feel like I am telling her all day, Emily, don't hit.  Be nice.  So what she will do is come and hit you and then immediately try and be nice and pet you like you would pet a kitty.  It is too much.  I will say that poor Matthew bears the brunt of her hitting.  Thank goodness, he is so calm and in control and doesn't give her what she has coming!  I am hoping if I stay on her about the hitting- that it will subside. 

At her check up, Emily weighed in at 30 pounds, 3 ounces.  Holy moly!  That is two pounds heavier than Matthew or Claire at this age!  She is 33 3/4 inches tall which puts her well above the 10oth percentile in both weight and height.  Her pediatrician thinks both of these measurements are perfect because they balance one another.  If she was over 100 percent in one category and 60th in another- then he said we would have to look deeper.  She got a shot and was as brave as she could be about it. 

Emily is all over the place in our house.  She climbs EVERYTHING and is doing things none of my other kids attempted.  Think pulling open the bottom oven door, climbing the ladder to the bunk beds, climbing and then standing on top of our patio table outside, jumping on the kids beds, and the list goes on and on.  Luckily, she is pretty safe with her exploration but my goodness!  One other crazy thing is that she gave up the pluggie!  All the other kids used it until they were three but she decided one day, Nope, not taking it.  

One of her major obsessions are shoes.  She LOVES to wear shoes!  When we go shopping at Target and pass the shoe department, she will lift her legs up in the shopping cart and wiggle her feet so I will notice her and let her try some shoes on!  She loves to wear Matthew's shoes and slippers as well as wear many different pairs of her own shoes each day. 

Emily is able to communicate her needs to us pretty darn well.  Some of her words right now are Mom, Mama, Dad, Dada, Muh-muh (Matthew), Teh (Claire), Muh (Michael), boo (balloon), num num (food), moon, bye bye.  There a lot more but this blog has to stop somewhere!  She can mimic most everything we say (attempt to, at least) and if we don't understand, she wants to show us what she means.  If I ask her who my baby is, she will respond ya-ya (I am).  She loves to go through the different animals and make their sound.  My favorite right now is her snake sound.  If she doesn't squeal like she is afraid of it she will blow air out her nose.  It's funny because it does make the S sound of a snake.  She is just a doll. 

She is still fearless and loves when Damien sits her on top of the fridge.  We have a hilarious video of Matthew and Emily up there and it is so funny to see Matthew begging to get off and Emily refusing to budge!  Who does she think she is?  (So help me God if she ever finds a way to climb up there herself.)  Her hair is still so curly.  I absolutely LOVE it! Her bangs are still in her eyes so her hair is pulled back most of the time. 

Funniest comment this month about Emily came from Matthew.  Because she does bully him quite a bit, he got frustrated and looked at me and said, "I don't want a baby anymore.  Do you know why we have a baby, Mom?  Because you ORDERED one!"  I don't blame him.  Because these two are home a lot together when Michael and Claire are at school, she has no one else to bug!  But don't be fooled.  Matthew LOVES his baby sister.  I know they will continue to be good friends for the rest of their lives!

Emily loves her siblings.  One day when Michael was at school, she brought me over to his pajama drawer and showed me his shirt.  She let me know she wanted to wear it.  When Michael came home- he thought it was hysterical!  She is so full of love.  Emily is a beautiful and wonderful little girl.  Although at times I do wish she would stop being so daring and fearless- I really wouldn't want her any other way.  Okay, maybe she could stop playing in the toilet water, but everything else is okay with me.  Fifteen months, Emily.  That is such a big milestone for a very big girl.  We love you so much and promise to enjoy you each and every day! 

1 comment:

the uffelmans said...

sweet emily. lisa - you ordered the baby.