Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Great Grandpa Swendsen

Upon arriving home from Leavenworth Sunday evening, I was met by Damien who let me know that on Friday as I boarded the plane- his Grandfather (Damien's father's father) had passed away.  I was overcome with emotion.  My mind quickly replayed the weekend and everything Damien had said and I realized the tremendous sacrifice he made to endure his own sadness, support his family, and take care of the kids while I was able to relax with my Mom and sisters.  Truly, his gesture was just so wonderful.  Poor Grandpa.  Although his life was long and he lived a very full and colorful life- he was gone. 

I was so glad that over the last month- we were able to see him twice.  My kids were able to see him while knowing that his time was short.  It gave all of us a chance to say what we needed to say and remember the visit vividly because it was quite possibly our last.  We are all happy that Grandpa Swendsen died peacefully at home, surrounded by his wife and family.  What a life he lived.  We are all better for having known him.

This week, the family has gotten together several times to support one another and celebrate Great Grandpa's life.  On Tuesday, we drove up to San Francisco to attend the Rosary.  Damien and I thought it was important for the kids to be there but also were a little worried that seeing their Great Grandpa's body would be too much for them to handle.  We talked a lot about how his body would be there but that this soul had already gone to heaven.  We prepared them as much as we could and told them that they didn't have to go up and see him if they didn't want to.  When we arrived, we greeted Grandma and a lot of the family.  Then we proceeded forward to pay our respects to Grandpa.  I told the kids to go slowly but Michael walked up very quickly- only to stare for a moment and dart for the back of the room.  Death is so hard.  It is especially hard for an innocent young mind to process.  Within a few minutes, Michael went up again and by the end of the evening, I looked toward the front of the room and saw Michael kneeling on the casket and kissing Grandpa's forehead.  Claire was very grounded and was respectful of the situation and touched Grandpa's hand, too.  Matthew was a bit oblivious but tried hard to understand what was going on.  When Damien told Matthew that Grandpa had died,  he asked Damien, "Did he take a plane?"  We ended the evening at Yet Wah (Chinese restaurant) where Grandma treated everyone to a dinner in her late husband's honor.

The following morning, we again drove to the city to attend the funeral Mass.  Damien was asked to read the second reading and we hoped the kids would sit still so that we could enjoy the Mass and let those around us enjoy it, too.  Emily was not having it.  I don't blame her and thankfully the church had a soundproof baby room where I rocked her to sleep and kept her quiet.  My other kids did great and the service was really beautiful.  Carl Swendsen lived to the age of 86, was married for 61 years, had eight children and got to meet his children's children' children.  I felt bad for Grandma today as I watched her stand alone and welcome people to the funeral of her beloved husband.  Then it donned on me that she got to be with her husband for 61 years!  If only I will be that blessed!  Grandma was wonderfully supportive, a great wife to her husband and was there for him through thick and thin until he took his last breath.  She truly is amazing.

After the ceremony, we went to the burial.  Because two of Grandpa's sons have (one is retired and one is active) worked for the San Francisco Police Department, we were lead in our procession to the cemetery by forty (yes, forty) motorcycle cops.  They essentially closed down a lot of San Francisco temporarily to guide us to his final resting place.  It was amazing.  Damien and I kept saying over and over how unbelievable it was.  Because Grandpa served in the Navy, a uniformed soldier played Taps on his trumpet as the flag on his coffin was folded and handed to Grandma.  It was so powerful.  Everyone there was very emotional at the grave site.  The priest asked all the little kids to take a handful of dirt and throw it into the grave.  When I saw Damien's Uncle Joel pick up Emily and I watched her take a fist full of dirt from the pile sitting next to the grave I let out such a sigh of sadness.  Grandpa and Emily are the oldest and youngest of all of the Swendsens.  To see her throw dirt down on her Grandfather's coffin knowing that at the time of his passing they were the 'bookends' of the family was so incredibly touching. 

Grandpa, we love you and will never forget you.  Evo!

Carl Oluf Patrick Swendsen
June 30, 1924 - October 1, 2010

No comments: