Yes, folks. It is the annual flu shot post. Originally, I created a post about the flu shot because I wanted my kids to be able to see before and after shots of them prepping for the flu shot in hopes that they could see that it isn't that bad. Time after time it has been proven that they have a freak out meltdown before the shot and then laugh when it is over because (I repeat) IT DIDN'T HURT! You would think by now they would have it under control but my deep feeling, emotional kids can't get a hold of themselves. A few months ago, I heard that newish song on the radio that says, 'Shot, shot, shot, shot, shot, shot, shot, shot, shot, shot, shot, shot.' Please tell me you know the one! I know they aren't talking about flu shots but something struck me as funny. I imagined telling my kids that if they were going to get a flu shot that day, I would have this song playing when I started up the car. This twisted idea involved them panicking every time I turned the car on to see of the Shot Shot song came on. I know, I am terrible but sometimes this whole 'Mother of Four' thing makes me crazy.
For the last month (and I am not exaggerating) Michael has asked me everyday if today was the day he was going to get a flu shot. It drives me nuts how worried they are about it! At the same time, I understand their anxiety but it does wear on me. Well, today WAS the day. Ironically, Michael didn't ask me today when he came home from school. I thought that since Gina and Damien were going to get their flu shots, too- it might lessen the anxiety. Michael was on to our whispered conversation in the kitchen about our plan of attack for that evenings flu clinic. "What? What are you talking about? Are we getting flu shots today?" he said in a panic. I looked at Damien and Gina (who had heard of my ridiculous 'Shot Shot' idea) and before we knew it we started the song. Shot, shot, shot, shot, shot, shot. It was evil. I kinda feel bad about it. But it gave me such a deep belly laugh that I decided that it was worth the moderate trauma Michael endured when he realized today was the day. Man, I feel like I shouldn't have even written that. I am terrible!! (Just for posterity sake, Michael now thinks that song was funny.) We loaded the kids into the car and off we went.
Having Damien and Gina get their flu shots, too didn't help the nervousness in the room dissipate. Michael kept wiping his tears saying, "I know I am overreacting" while Claire (who was recovering from the stomach flu) was as white as a ghost. Matthew and Emily were as oblivious as you could be. This was just too much. Dr. Safir came in and Michael volunteered to go first. He got the shot and hopped off the table saying, "Why do I do this? Why do I overreact?" Then Claire went and she just laughed. Matthew was braver than I had imagined him to be. Dr. Safir gave him the shot and he didn't flinch but the suddenly his face started contorting into faces I had never seen before. Then the waterworks came. Emily took it like a champ, but most babies do. Damien was really brave. He got a gold star for his bravery. Gina did pretty well. See, Damien and Dr. Safir got into a discussion about the SF Giants while he was holding Gina's flu shot. She was ready to go but they kept chatting. Then she tapped on Dr. Safir and asked if he wouldn't mind getting the show on the road. Whew. And that was that. Flu Shot Drama 2010. We all rewarded ourselves with a nice healthy meal from In-N-Out afterwards and it made everyone feel a whole lot better. Only 364 more days until we have to go through this again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment