When people ask me about Emily's disposition- I tell them she is a love. I mean that in the sincerest of ways. She is so affectionate to those she loves. She is always giving kisses, hugs, wanting people to stay, crying when they leave. Emily is compassionate for those who are upset and if someone gets hurt- she is the first one on the scene to offer support. Yes, a large part of her is full of the best of intentions. The other part of her is full of something entirely different!
Being my fourth child- Emily was brought into a world of siblings who are capable, active, and who move non-stop. It didn't take long for her to throw her infancy aside to try and be more like a big kid! If the big kids don't use it- she doesn't want it. I have a one and a half year old who drinks from a glass, not a sippy cup. My baby only poops in the toilet, not in a diaper. She also goes pee about 70% of the time in the toilet, too. I put a diaper on her but every time I turn around- I see the sweetest bare buns running past me. Big kids don't wear diapers! Emily sits in a chair at dinner. The high chair is a thing of the past. Even the little booster chair we have at her seat will be short lived. She just wants to sit like a big girl- and will sit better if she is not strapped in! Emily thinks it is appropriate to climb up the ladder and onto the top bunk. We don't even let Matthew do that! She is sneaky like you can't believe. If I say, 'Emily, please don't touch that." She will gladly sit there and not touch what I told her not to touch but patiently waits until the coast is clear to get her hands all over the forbidden object! She has eaten Desitin and even drank bubbles the other day (which resulted in vomit ten minutes later). She climbs on the counters, steals toys from her siblings, gives the occasional smack just for no reason and plays with Daddy's computer even though she knows that is is against the rules.
Yes, Miss Emily is busy . . . all . . .of . . .the . . .time. While she is tough sometimes- I have to say she is the biggest LOVE!!! Sometimes I feel bad admitting to her wrongs. I know that she is just curious and wants to try everything. It is almost like her wrongs are right! She wants to catch up to the other kids and knows that it just isn't possible. Instead, she pushes the boundaries which I set for her to just get a little closer to them. If I were a baby, I wouldn't want to be left in the dust and subjected to baby-ish things, either. But because I am her Mommy, I have to work diligently to make sure she is safe and understand that I set rules for very real reasons.
Oh, Emily. You crack us up. Sometimes it is hard not to laugh at you when you so boldly defy the rules that we all have to live by. My cheeks are permanently sore from biting them so much! I know that if I laugh at your antics, it just encourages you. Your brother Michael is the worst at this! He thinks you are the funniest thing in the world. When you don't listen or when you talk back to me- he can't contain his laughter. Because of this, you two have created some bond over your stubbornness. You'll do something you shouldn't and then look to him and laugh which sends him doubling over in hysterical laughter. You two. My bookends. Your other siblings also think you are ridiculously funny. You love to hang out with Claire but don't bug her too much. Matthew, on the other hand, is your consummate target. Thank goodness he is so patient with you!
With each passing day, you are getting smarter and are becoming less rebellious. Although you are a handful at times, I love you so much and LOVE the LOVE you give me all day, every day.
Monday, March 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a beautiful post. I feel like I know this girl through your writing and I LOVE HER!
She and Jonah are so much alike! He is a love, but also a handful. He loves his big sister Addie but also really pesters her to the point of her hysterics much of the time. Ahhhhh sibling love! We are so blessed with such fun kids!
I love hearing about your adventures...thank you for sharing so much of it here.
Post a Comment