Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Full Circle Moment

Matthew was practically glowing after finishing his basketball project.  My little four year old was bursting with confidence and so satisfied at a job well done.  The Popsicle man had come by minutes earlier and all the kids had gotten a cool refreshing treat to cap off the day.  Matthew and I sat down on the warm concrete and had a deep chat as the sun continued to set on this beautiful day. 

Matthew:  "Mom, you're really good at basketball!"
Mommy:  "Thanks, buddy.  You know, I had to practice a lot in order to get better at basketball!"
Matthew:  "Did you practice in the dark, too?"
Mommy:  "Well, Grandpa put lights in the backyard so that I could practice at night if I wanted to."
Matthew:  "Grandpa is cool!"
Mommy:  "My Dad is cool!  When I was a kid, he would come and rebound for me just like I did for you!"
Matthew:  "Did you practice in the rain?"
Mommy:  "Actually, I did.  A lot!"
Matthew:  "Didn't you get wet and cold?"
Mommy:  "I did!  But I really loved basketball and wanted to be the best I could be!"
Matthew:  "Did Nonna and Grandpa make food for you to eat after you practiced so much?"
Mommy:  laughing a little, "Nonna did.  She is a great cook and took great care of me!"
Matthew:  "That's really nice"
Mommy:  "I know!"

There was about a minute pause as Matthew was deep in thought.  He kept wrinkling his forehead while simultaneously eating his sno-cone.

Matthew:  "So, Mom.  I was thinking . . . I want to be just like you."
Mommy:  "Matthew, that makes my heart so happy!"
Another few seconds of concentrated silence.
Matthew:  "Can boys play basketball in college, too?  I would love to play basketball at Santa Clara University."

I was stunned by what he had just said.  Could men play sports in college?  I thought about that for a second.  Here was my beautiful four year old son asking me if he might have the opportunity to do what I did!  It was in this moment that I realized what a strong female role model I must be for my children.  So much so- that Matthew wished that men could have the same privileges as women!  What a full circle moment.  One generation before me- women were fighting for the right to play sports.  Now, two generations later- my son asks if men have the same opportunities as women.  Times have changed and I am so thrilled to have raised my children with a sense of equality and empowerment.

Mommy:  "Of course you can play at Santa Clara!  You can do anything you set your mind to."
Matthew:  "Yay!"

And that was it.  A moment I won't soon forget.  I moment that made me feel so blessed for my amazing journey through life.  A moment that reminded me to help guide and encourage my own children on their journeys, as well.  Life is precious.  Thank you Matthew for our talk tonight.  I will rebound for you anytime. 

1 comment:

the uffelmans said...

so cool lis. you are such a great example to your kids, and to young women...