Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Matthew's Preschool Thanksgiving Feast

Yes, today I attended the fifth Thanksgiving Feast at Ballard Montessori.  You would think I would be getting tired of it but that is completely opposite of how I feel.  Somehow- going into it with an expectation of what will happen and being able to focus solely on Matthew's involvement with it provides me with the best of both worlds.

Michael and Claire were so happy that they were going to come to the Feast today!  They were let out of school yesterday so they were happy they could come and support Matthew while also being able to say hello to a lot of familiar faces from their past.  Each child at the school either gets to wear a pilgrim hat or a Native American headdress.  On the car ride over, Claire griped that she was a pilgrim both years at Ballard.  Michael didn't have any idea what he wore.  Classic. 

When we got there, Matthew saw us and immediately put his mouth in the shape of an O.  This is what he does when he is excited/nervous.  I hope I never forget that he used to do this.  We all admired his feathers and let him show us around the playground.  After some time playing we all filled up plates with delicious turkey, stuffing, macaroni and cheese (this is traditional, right?), mashed potatoes, and pumpkin bread.  The kids absolutely love Thanksgiving Dinner so they were in heaven.

As I watched Matthew run around amongst the kids- it dawned on my that this was his last Feast here at Ballard.  Somehow, throughout all the hustle and bustle our life brings, I failed to realize that my little Matthew is going to go to Kindergarten next year at St. Christopher School.  It will be a fantastic step in his journey of life but it is one more BIG stepping stone to becoming older than I could have ever imagined him to be.  Where has the time gone?  How do I stop it?  Happy Thanksgiving Matthew!  Thanks so much for letting us share in your special celebration.

No comments: