It's funny the memories you retain from your childhood. As a parent, you try and give your child the very best. You put as much effort as you can into making sure that you do things well for them and hope that when they think back- they will have a real memory of how their childhood was. And when they remember? You hope they say that they loved it! When I think back to Valentine's Day as a kid, I remember that I would rush out of bed and into the kitchen to see the little treasures my Mom had laid out for all of her kids on the kitchen counter. They weren't huge prizes, but they were personal and special. I remember, in particular, a large chalky heart that if you chewed it long enough- it turned into gum. Gum didn't make an appearance in our home too regularly so I was bound and determined to chew the somewhat disgusting heart until it turned into gum. Although I am elaborating quite ridiculously on how disgusting that heart was- what I take largely from that memory was that my Mom loved us so much that she would always have treats ready on special occasions. Because she thought enough to make a trivial holiday special for her five kids, we remember her for her generosity and thoughtfulness.
Cut to me, the night before Valentine's Day. 'Dang it!' I shout quietly because the kids were sleeping. I must have said it loud enough for Damien to respond. He wonders what could be wrong. I was standing in the kitchen at 10:00 p.m. in my workout clothes ready to go to the gym. Yes, I now go pretty frequently to the gym late at night because sometimes that is the only time I can get away and I am not letting excuses get in the way of my goals. Deep breath. 'I forgot to go to the store to get the kids their goodies. I bought the heart shaped chocolate filled boxes for you to give them tomorrow but I don't have anything for the counter," I tell Damien. I am pretty sure he thought I was nuts. I am also sure that I looked pathetically tired. He knew I didn't want to go to the gym and then the idea of me then going to the store must have been too much. 'Don't worry about it. They won't miss it.' Damien says in support of my mental well being. I knew when I said it out loud, I don't have goodies for the kids, that I had to go to the store, no matter how late it was. So off to the gym, then to the store. I got home at 11:30 p.m. but I felt really good about it. I worked out and did what my little heart told me to do!
The kids woke up the next morning and squealed with delight after finding the treasures on the counter. Nostalgia set it. I thought of my Mom and was so glad I went and got them treats! I was able to find four different colored balls (so there was no confusion and fighting over who had what ball) and I found some yummy candy. Not too much but just enough to let them know I thought of them and loved them. Then for breakfast- we had some heart shaped eggs in toast. They thought I was a magician! How did you make a heart in the toast? How did you get the egg in the toast? I will keep this secret to myself and never tell them that it was a cookie cutter, and egg, and a piece of bread. Shoot! They know I hate keeping secrets!
Matthew had a fun little party at this school where he was really feeling like the big man on campus. He brought his candy Nerd Valentine's and was so excited! I had purchased him a shirt that said Eligible Bachelor mostly, because I thought it was funny. He asked what it said and I explained that it meant Ladies, I am available. He said, 'Oh yeah, I want to wear this!'. He is so funny! Emily and I were able to join him for the last half of his party and they even let Emily have a bag to collect Valentine's! She was so happy and couldn't wait to get home and show her Daddy her new candy!
Michael and Claire both wore fun shirts to school today and went prepared with a bag full of Valentine's. They opted to get the coolest Valentine's I have ever seen! They were little plastic bags that when you smack them with your hand, it slowly starts inflating. A few more seconds and the bag explodes with a pop and a little heart shaped balloon comes floating out. Seriously awesome! I heard from many Mom's of kids in their classes that their Valentine's were all the rage. How fun! I am sure exploding Valentine's will be outlawed from school next year. Whoops!
My Valentine took me out to dinner tonight EVEN though I had to coach Claire's team. Really? Practice on Valentine's Day? I think that is when you know your life has changed. I said that we shouldn't worry about it but Damien wouldn't have it and made reservations at Bella Mia. We went out to dinner there a few times while we were dating in college. Our most famous date there happened when I suggest to Damien (during our junior year) that we go there. Apparently, he had little to no money in his account. Not wanting to disappoint me, he obliged. Little did I know- he was sweating the whole meal! I don't even remember what I ordered but I am sure it wasn't too cheap. Damien on the other hand, was going to order the least expensive thing on the menu. Turns out, it was a dish of mushroom ravioli. Damien doesn't like mushrooms or raviolis. That, my friends, is love. We still laugh at the circumstances surrounding this date. He ate the raviolis so he didn't have to order something he couldn't afford and then wash dishes in order to pay it off! What a guy.
Valentine's Day was a great day for our whole family. I want to make sure I celebrate every little holiday or special day with my kids and my hubby. Life has enough drama, seriousness, and predictability in it. Sometimes a ball, some candy, and a surprise dinner reservation will keep you going for a while! Happy Valentine's Day to all the people in our life who we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment