Monday, May 07, 2012

Good Behavior Charts

Let's just say that there was a Mom who stayed at home with her kids every day who was starting to lose her leverage with her smaller children.  Slow nice explanations on why we shouldn't do things didn't deter the kids from their bad choices, time outs became laughable, and small threats to take away privileges were as funny as knock-knock jokes. 

When Michael and Claire were younger, I made Mr. and Ms. Friendly charts to motivate them to make good choices which eventually led to a reward when they filled up their charts with smileys.  I made the horrible decision about four months ago to throw the charts away (they were reusable with velcro) because I was delusional and thought for a moment that maybe I wouldn't have to deal with major behavior issues with the two small kids.  Let's just say that there might be a Mom who wished she had a chart to track good positive choices!

I have always had a little plastic container for stickers.  If I find stickers, I put them in there and I have quite the eclectic assortment of them!  The kids have always loved being rewarded with them so I decided to make Matthew and Emily separate charts to inspire them to be more mindful of their choices and ultimately choose good over evil . . . um, I mean bad.

I bought them each a prize ($4 cups from the Disney store) and put them high on a shelf where they couldn't reach them but could certainly see them.  I was dangling the carrot if you will.  If they went to bed without fussing (naps or nighttime), if Emily was dry during her nap, if they shared without having to be asked, if did something nice, or if they just behaved well- they got a sticker!  There were 16 boxes to fill up so this chart lasted for a good four days.  I am happy to say that for the moment, I have regained some leverage.  Thank you, God!

Life here has been better because we are all working towards something good.  Today, Matthew and Emily both filled up their charts and finally got to have their prizes!  Immediately, they filled them up with ice and juice, and went out in the sun to bask in their glory.  Oh, upper hand I have missed you.  Let's just say there might be a Mom who is feeling in control again. 

1 comment:

hdgina said...

These pics are the BEST. The one of Matthew??? are you kidding me??