Friday, August 01, 2008

An Incredible 9 Years!

Wait! I feel like I just wrote last year's anniversary entry! I cannot believe how fast another year has flown by. Yet as I sit here bewildered on how 365 days can go by so quickly, I am also reminded of the amazingly blessed nine years I have been able to spend with my husband.

This year my friend Brook was getting married in Denver on the weekend of our anniversary. I really wanted to be able to go but it was going to be difficult to try and find someone to watch the kids and get away for the weekend! Lucky for us, my Mom said she would watch our three kids so we booked our flights and looked forward to a big anniversary/wedding weekend in Denver! We flew up to Washington with the kids on a Thursday and then Damien and I flew to Denver on Friday morning (which was our actual anniversary). It was a great day. We relaxed, lounged around, toured around the downtown area (which is so incredibly cool), and then met up that evening at Brook's out-of-town pre-wedding get together. We were able to see a lot of friends from college and just have a lot of fun. We needed that!

One thing I didn't really think about was the significance of being with my college friends on our anniversary weekend. See, while Damien and I were dating in college, I lived with or played basketball with most of these girls. So part of the relationship and past I have with my friends, also involves Damien. It provided us with the perfect combination of happiness and nostalgia to truly get the most out of the weekend.

I am amazed when I think of the fact that Damien and I have already been married for nine years. When I met him in college, I knew that he was the one for me and I find myself shaking my head sometimes when I look around at all that we have created. I am so truly blessed to have married my best friend and someone who truly understands me. It was great to be able to get away for the weekend and just enjoy each other's company without distraction. I am happy. Nine years happy. I can't wait to make it to double digits next year.

1 comment:

emily said...

it's 9 for us this year too ... on the 18th of this month! Congratulations - here's to many more!!