Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Laura the Superstar Softball Player!

Most of my family went to dinner at this great little Italian sandwich/salad place in downtown Redmond called Pallino's for a healthyish meal. We had a great time and all had salads that were nothing short of delicious! But this is really beside the point. We were a little rushed at dinner because we wanted to go watch the last half hour of Laura's Special Olympics softball practice!

My Mom said this is the best part of the practice because at the end of their practice, they scrimmage. The timing was perfect because just as we arrived- Laura was up at the plate! She is so funny. We were, of course, cheering ridiculously and she looked over to us and gave us a sheepish grin. She loves when she has people watching her and she relished the moment when all eyes were on her! She hit the ball and made it to first base and she was so proud of herself! We were proud of her, too! She kept giving Michael and Claire little waves to let them know she saw them cheering. I was more concerned that Michael and Claire were distracting her and that she would take a line drive to the chin! All the cousins were there to watch Laura and she loved it!

As the practice was winding down, the coaches realized they had more time left than they had originally thought. Then they asked the players if they wanted their parents to hit! Laura yelled no pretty adamently (as if it was her terrain and hers alone) and then the coach said that your sisters or brothers could hit too. Then she turned her attention to me and Jill and was yelling and pleading at us to come onto the field and play! I turned to Jill and said, 'If you will- I will'. So we went down to the field and stepped into the batters box. I hit a grounder to short stop and made it to first base. Jill followed me and whacked it to the fence (luckily she didn't take anyone out along the way) and she got an in the park home run. She even told me I was running the bases to slow!!! Laura loved it and I could hear her giggling as I willed my body around the bases. It was a great moment that we all shared and one that we won't soon forget!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

That is so awesome. I love how sporty the Sacco's are!

Anonymous said...

Laura adored having you all there to watch!

Mom