
Honestly, I don't know where the eight years have gone since my little Michael was born. Eight years! Can you believe it? Even if I think back really hard, I have a hard time finding out where all of this lost time went. I know that we have had a lot of fun together and I know that Michael has had a really wonderfully full and bright eight years. However, something about having a son that is eight makes me feel like I am eighty! I guess I better get used to him getting older and hitting monumental ages because he is not getting any younger. Especially with a new baby on the way- Michael is so far ahead of Matthew and baby #4 that he will always feel so much older. When he gets his driver's license- this new little one will be hitting the same birthday as he did today- eight years old. I will have a new driver and a first grader at the same time! Crazy how life flips and changes on you. When Michael and Claire were born- I had a house full of babies. But as the last two kids are raised- my older kids will really be in a different place! How great and exciting life really is!

Michael really wanted to have a party where he could invite all the boys in his class. After all- these are the precious innocent years where it makes more sense to invite them all instead of risking hurt feelings and rejection. I looked all around and found this great karate studio that would do everything for me from invitations, entertainment, pizza, and cake. Um, can you say done and done? Michael had a private lesson beforehand to go over some skills and to learn how to break a board with a flying side kick. On his party day, he got to be an honorary black belt, help with the karate instruction, and break the board. He tried his flying side kick as best he could but ended breaking the board with his knee which was more dramatic anyway. His friends couldn't believe this 'amazing feat' and Michael felt like he was king of the world! He had so much fun and really felt special and honored (which is what I wanted anyways).

In the end, Michael had a great class birthday party. It wasn't an easy one to pull off because Michael has had a particularly sick March/April. Four straight viruses in four weeks. This kiddo just couldn't catch a break! His class party was actually scheduled for a week ago Sunday but we had to cancel it because he got sick the night before. He was devastated but luckily- we were able to get most of his friends to his rescheduled party. Whew! In the end- all three of my kids had an absolute blast at Michael's birthday party. Damien and I got to sit back and relax as someone else wrangled eighteen 7/8 year old boys and we enjoyed watching Michael and Claire perform their karate moves and have a blast! The best part, however, was being able to walk away from the chaos and the mess and go home to our clean house where Michael opened up all of his gifts and was in all his eight year old glory! Happy Birthday Michael!
2 comments:
The world is safe with these three! Love, Nonna Pachone
What a great idea for a birthday! Happy Birthday Michael-san!
Post a Comment