
First day of school! First day of school! The kids were really looking forward to starting school this year. With Emily being born on the first day of summer vacation, we definitely had a lot of time at home to relax and unwind. By the end of the summer, I think all of us were looking forward to some structure- some kind of schedule to get us through our days. We had a blast school supply shopping where the kids brought their supply lists and did a scavenger list of sorts to find what they needed. I hit up the uniform store and got all of the necessary pieces to make sure they were ready. The one thing I didn't do was plan to be in the hospital with Emily when school started. This proved to make things more hectic than we anticipated but with the help of family- we were able to give the kids a great first day of school.

The day before school started, I rushed home from the hospital to shower, lay out their uniforms, and label all of their school supplies. I gave them kisses and told them I hoped they would have an amazing first day of school and that I couldn't wait to hear all about it. I also promised them a 'First Day of School Pizza Party' at the hospital. My work was done. I now had to reply on Damien, his parents, and his sisters to do the rest. Damien had spent the night at the hospital with me and woke up early in order to be able to drive home and get them ready. Over the years, he has become so good at doing Claire's hair and when I saw the pictures- I gave him two thumbs up! She looked adorable. So ready for 1st grade. Michael looked handsome and confident as he prepared to start 2
nd grade. Mark and Marlene were a HUGE help to us. They made the morning special for the kids and helped out so much with Matthew. They got them some sweet first day of school prizes and gave them tons of attention which is what they needed with Mommy, Daddy, and Emily in the hospital. My parents added a little excitement by sending the kids about twenty-five boxes of cereal- just like they did
last year. Always a BIG hit with the kids. Personally, I would like to thank everyone who helped out with making the kids so happy and grounded on their first day of school. The circumstances weren't what any of us predicted, but we survived it. It was emotional for me to have to miss such a special day but thankfully, my kids did great.

Michael is so ready for 2
nd grade! He built up so much confidence in himself in 1st grade and is ready to tackle whatever comes his way. He knows the school, the rules, the general flow of things and is ready to get back in school and be with his friends.
Clairey has been waiting for this day for a long time! The big change with her being in 1st grade is that it is full day. Kindergarten was only half day so it will be an adjustment for her (and for Mommy) to be gone all day. I know I will miss having lunch with her everyday. I remember feeling this way with Michael too. In part, it is a beginning to the end. For the rest of their school careers, they will be gone all day. I am so glad that when I look back on their little lives, I know I enjoyed the lazy days of babyhood, toddler life, preschool and Kindergarten. Time flew and my babies are so big now. It makes me so sad that they are gone all day now but also makes me so happy with the decision I made to stay home with them. This precious window of having your kids at your fingertips passes oh so quickly. I have loved being with them and feel confident letting them go a little bit because I know I did the very best I could for them. Congratulations to my two beautiful children who make me so so proud. I know you will have an amazing 1st and 2
nd grade year!
2 comments:
I loved this post. First of all, it brings me back because Claire's uniform colors are almost exactly the same as mine were in grade school. Second, you helped remind me how precious this time is (the before "real" school time). I do my best to remember and try to cherish it, but reading this post helped me even more.
Great post! School seems so far away for my little Braeden. I know it will be here before I know it, and I need to enjoy all the time I have with him now :-) Michael and Claire looks soo cute, and I am sure they are having a blast in school!
Post a Comment