Thursday, December 03, 2009

Nutcracker

Every year we head north to Walnut Creek to see Damien's Mom perform in the Nutracker. She narrates the story on stage amongst the King Mouse and Clara and the kids get such a kick out of it! The performance is so incredibly kid friendly. It is only one hour long but so well done. We always get all dressed up and love cozying into our seats in the auditorium to watch the show.

Just when we thought is was going to be like every other year, Emily went and got a virus. She was on day #3 of a fever and we thought for sure she would be healthy enough but she just couldn't kick it in time. So I stayed back with her as Damien, Heather, and the kids ventured north. They reported that it was as good as ever and Matthew especially, felt the magic of the show this year. It is fun to see the kids faces as they see their "E" (what they call Damien's Mom) up on stage. Right around Matthew's age all of my kids have worried about E up there. They don't want her to get hurt by the King Mouse who wields a sword and always freak out when the final curtain is drawn. I think they think the curtain swallows her up or something. Once the curtain is drawn, they start to cry worrying about E and don't fully calm until they see her and verify that she is unscathed. We love this performance and it is a very important part of our Christmas season. And while I am truly disappointed I couldn't go, I am glad the rest of the family went so the kids could enjoy their E to the fullest!

No comments: