
I am not sure where to start with this one. A few months ago, we had a little
tooth losing episode that really was crazy. What happened was that Michael lost a tooth and wouldn't you know . . . Claire lost one, too! It isn't happenstance or coincidence. It is
purposeful and I CANNOT believe it happened again!
Competitive Tooth Losing Part Two started with Damien, the designated tooth puller, out of town on a business trip. Great. Flying solo this time. Michael had been complaining so much about one of his lower teeth that hurt because the was another tooth coming in underneath it. We had begged him to let us pull it and urged him to keep wiggling it so that it would get looser. Well, tonight was the night the tooth would need to come out but Damien was no where in sight. I thought it would be a good idea to have Michael pull his own tooth out since he had never done that before. He wiggled and wiggled and wiggled it and out came the tooth! He was so excited and began running all over the house proclaiming the good news! I grabbed the camera in preparation to take a picture of the big event when Claire came running in the kitchen and told me she had just lost a tooth, too. Seriously? What is wrong here? Who just pulls teeth in order to steal someone
elses thunder? I wasn't sure what to do in the moment. I wanted to congratulate Claire on the loss of yet another tooth but I was totally in shock that she pulled out another tooth to trump her brother! Of course I congratulated her after a moment of fury and then went to look in her mouth to see if I could even see a tooth coming in underneath it. I couldn't. That means that she will have yet another hole in her mouth to match the spot where she
competitively pulled the other tooth out a few months back. Only my kids, right. Only my kids.

Claire and I had a big talk the next night in order to get to the bottom of the tooth pulling episodes. Turns out it all had to do with attention her brother got for losing a tooth. I explained to her the importance of letting teeth stay in our mouth until a bigger tooth starts to nudge it out and also re-emphasized we don't pull teeth because we feel like it (something I thought I would never have to explain). A little disclaimer for my sweet girl.
Her Mommy might have pulled a few teeth out when they weren't ready when she was in grade school. It could be genetic. Where was I? Oh, the talk with Claire. She is a really good kid. A fantastic kid, at that! She is also not deprived of attention and I tried to help her understand this when we were talking. I told her that it is important to give people their special moments and to wait for our own special moments to happen naturally. She seemed to digest all of this pretty darn well. I sure hope she really understood my message. I guess we'll just have to see if I have to write another
stinkin' blog about competitive tooth losing. Let's hope we can put this insanity behind us!
No comments:
Post a Comment