Tuesday, December 01, 2009

O Christmas Tree

I love our Christmas tree this year. It is the first time we have abandoned the tradition of buying Douglas Fir trees and went for a Noble Fir. It didn't happen on purpose but I couldn't be happier with our choice. For one, Noble Fir trees have much more stable branches so you can hang a lot more ornaments and they don't fall off. The other thing I am loving is that it doesn't shed it's needles. After having it for only a few days, I can honestly say that Douglas Fir trees for the Swendsen family are a thing of the past!

It wasn't our intention to stray from tradition, there just weren't any good Douglas trees in the Christmas tree lot at the kids' school. Damien suggested we come back the next night when they would get another shipment and I shot him the "What the heck are you thinking- we have all four kids bundled up and standing in a tree lot at eight o'clock at night- we are getting a tree and we are getting it now" look. He really appreciated that one. Turns out, the guy running the lot said he would give us a deal on a Noble Fir. I was hesitant at first until I saw this gorgeous, fat, beautiful tree and that was that.

We put the kids to bed and then Damien and I strung the lights and the ribbon and prepped for some serious decorating for the next morning. The kids love decorating the tree. They love hearing the stories surrounding the different ornaments. They loved our 'First Year of Marriage' ornament, they all loved their 'My First Christmas' ornaments, and they loved these ornaments that I made for all of them on their first Christmases. Each of my kids had an ornament with their handprint and a picture of them on their first Christmas. I cherish these ornaments the most and they make me so happy when I look at them. I made Emily's before we decorated and it was awesome to see the four handprint ornaments shining amongst the others. Matthew is loving the tree so much. He cannot get over that we have a tree in our house. I love having the lights of the tree on so if they aren't, I always say, 'I wish there was a little elf who could turn the Christmas tree on'. This year, that little elf is Matthew who goes and turns it on first thing in the morning. I am looking forward to many a night- sitting in my big cozy chair staring at the lights. Let the holidays begin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We will all patiently wait until you get into the NEW tradition of buying an artificial tree. No need for arguing, fighting, crying and screaming. AND the tree doesn't fall down in the middle of the night, which is a bonus. No nails pounded into the floor, no watering it, no going to the emergency room when you try to cut your thumb off. The only pain is coercing Natalie into helping me stuff it back in the box.

Dad.