Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cheetah's Basketball

I am loving this season of basketball! It has been so fun to go to the gym each weekend and watch the kids play. Because I am not coaching Michael's team- I can just relax and watch him move around the court. He has really surprised me this season. He is so intense, so composed, so perceptive, so explosive and is just having the best time out there! Michael and his team have been doing great, too! My favorite thing to watch Michael do is steal a pass. He just sits there and plays coy and then when the offense player throws a pass to another player- he just pounces on it and gets the steal! Off to the races he goes to the other end of the court for a layup! It is great to watch. He is so good on defense and hustle plays. He never stops moving and is just fantastic out there. Aaahhhh. I am loving this!

At first, Michael was upset that his team name was the Cheetahs. I think his frustration was in direct reference to the girls singing group, The Cheetah Girls. Once I told him that I didn't see the connection between basketball and music groups, he decided he was okay with "The Cheetahs" even though the team name sounded a little girlie to him. He has one classmate on his team and the rest are just other 1st and 2nd grade boys from the area. He does play against a lot of his classmates which is fun for him. I am so proud of Michael and sometimes when he is sprinting around the court, diving for balls- my mind rolls back to the image of him as a tiny, sick baby in an incubator. How great God is for helping Michael fully recover from his tough beginnings to make him healthy and strong enough to kick some behind on the basketball court! Go Michael, go!

1 comment:

kprince said...

LISA!!
You make me smile!! I love your blog and thank you for your recent comments on my blog.
It must be SO amazing that your kiddos are playing a sport that made you who you are today!! I think its bitter sweet to read that your coaching Claire and that Michael is stealing and diving for balls during his games. I SO enjoyed watching you steal and dive for balls in HS :)
Thank you for sharing your busy family with us on your blog!! Hugs your way!! :)