Double Digits. Can you believe it? Has it really been ten whole years since we first laid eyes on our miraculous Michael? Hard as it is to believe, it has. It has been amazing to watch Michael grow over the years. He started a tiny sick baby, turned into a determined little toddler, then a hilarious and loving little boy, and now before me stands a beautiful young man who amazes me with his hilarious personality, his deep connection with all things related to the heart, his foray into independence and self awareness, and his absolute love of those who he holds close. As Michael has grown thoughout the years- people have always said that he was wise beyond his years. Nothing could be more true of my brilliant little guy who will work and work until he has this world figured out!
Bright and early on Michael's birthday (which was a school day) I ran across the street to get Michael (and his siblings) a sausage, egg, and cheese breakfast sandwich from Starbucks. All of my kids love this and I knew that it would be the perfect breakfast to send him off to school with. I also stopped at Yum Yum donuts to get a special chocolate bar to put in his lunch (as a surprise). I ran these two errands and made it back by their 7:00 a.m. wake up time. Michael was sad the night before thinking about the fact that this was his last night as a nine year old. The last one-digit birthday. He is a numbers person, just like me. When we woke him up- he sat straight up and with tired eyes and a groggy morning voice uttered, "I'm ten!"
Michael was thrilled with his breakfast surprise. All four of them sat quietly while chowing down on their sausage sandwich! It was great. We wished Michael a great day and then drove him off to school. Michael still had a friend party and a family party on the calendar so we knew that although it isn't always the best to have your birthday on a school day- the fun was coming! The day before, I asked him what he wanted for his birthday dinner. He decided on teriyaki salmon, artichokes, and garlic bread! How epicurious of him!
We had invited all the local family over for dinner and were thrilled when Mark, Jocelyn, and their boys were able to join us. It was really great. The dinner Michael chose was not the easiest of meals. It took a lot of preparation but was delicious. I even said, "Michael, why don't we go out to dinner or order your favorite thing in!" He replied, "But Mom, I love your cooking and it would feel more special if you made it. Done and done. After dinner, we had some gift giving which of course Michael loved! This year, we got Michael a croquet set (he loves to play any kind of game), a new tree swing, a new Street Fighter game for his Nintendo 3DS, and a few other fun things. Matthew got Michael a huge Hershey's bar and Emily picked out an oversized tennis ball for him. It was so sweet. Michael had asked everyone he knew for Target gift cards so he would hopefully have enough money to buy a Nintendo 3DS. Mark and Joc brought a huge bouquet of balloons for Michael and followed his wishes for a Target GC.
After dinner and gifts, it was cake time! When I was younger- my favorite cake was a cake my Nana made. It consisted of yellow cake with a whipped chocolate frosting. I introduced it to Damien and my kids and I can't think of a birthday where they haven't requested it! Nana knew best! Simple yet delicious.
It was a wonderful day. For Damien and myself, it was a good day to reflect on the blessing that is Michael. It is a day where we looked back on what Michael and we have been through over the past ten years. At times, I was transported to the hospital in Paris where way back then- I dreamed of the chance to raise Michael until he turned ten. It was a dream, a hope, a what if. And now- look at him. Handsome, strong, funny, healthy, determined, driven, soft hearted, and absolutely amazing. Happy Birthday to my Michael, double-digits and all. You are simply amazing.
Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My first grandchild, Michael has always amazed me! I love his beautiful spirit and his creative genious. Nonna loves you Mikey!
Post a Comment