Monday, August 01, 2011

It's Been An Amazing Twelve Years

Every year it seems more and more surreal that I have been married to the same amazingly, wonderful man for twelve years.  I suppose if I did the math more often and realized that I am now 35 and I met him when I was 19, it makes sense.  Before I was married, if I heard about a couple celebrating their ten, fifteen, and twenty year anniversary- I thought, "Wow, how do they do it?"  Well, we are doing it and this is our formula.

Never give up on one another.  Take the time to listen, not just talk.  Have your partner be your best friend.  Make sure you laugh together throughout the day.  When times get tough or just seem utterly ridiculous, find the silver lining . . . it will make a great story someday.  Respect one another.  Try not to take things too seriously.  Encourage your partner to do something for themselves (sports, go out with friends, exercise).  Make sure you get away without the kids a few times a year.  Live young.  Talk about the past and remember life as it used to be.  Dream about your future and all that it will hold!  Don't go into an argument trying to win.  Instead, try going into an argument and working on understanding one another better.  Show your kids how much you love each other.  They will want that for themselves one day.  Play pranks on each other.  Go to sleep at the same time.  Always kiss each other good night and say I love you before you go to sleep.  Value all that makes your partner who they are.  And above all- love unconditionally.  This is what works for us.

Damien and I are ridiculously nostalgic.  We love to talk about our courtship.  Hands down, it was one of the greatest times of my life.  I will never forget the feeling of falling in love and what a wonderful ride that was. I loved when I thought for the first time- this could last forever!  I am so lucky to have met Damien when I did.  Neither of us were in college just to meet a husband/wife, but we found each other and it proved to be the most valuable gift of all.
I know I have explained our engagement story before but here is a little refresher.  Damien and I had talked about getting married.  We knew that sometime soon, we would commit ourselves to one another.  I am a tough one to surprise.  Some might say I am nosey but I like to think of myself as being very aware of things.  Damien had come to visit me in Kirkland during the summer of 1998 and I didn't think that we were going to get engaged during his trip!  He had taken my parents and me to dinner and during dinner, asked my parents if they would grant him their blessing to eventually marry me.  Still, I didn't think it would be that next day!

We were out and about looking at different church options when we stumbled upon Sacred Heart Church in Bellevue, WA.  It was beautiful.   Damien thought it would be cute if we tried the aisle out.  Yes, he wanted me to see what it felt like to walk down the aisle.  At first, I said no.  Then he asked again and I complied.  I started walking silly down the aisle and he said, 'Come on, like you're walking to me on our wedding day!'  The mood got more serious but still, I suspected nothing.  Ten minutes earlier I asked him why he was acting strange.  I also told him his palms were sweating.  I had all the clues right in front of me but I didn't see it coming!  Step by step, I approached Damien.  I had a few steps to go before I reached the altar and he dropped to one knee and asked me to be his wife.  It was extremely romantic and perfect for us.

I thought it would be a great surprise to Damien to plan a little something for him on the eve of our twelfth anniversary.  I planned to take the kids and Damien to Mass at Sacred Heart Church and show the kids were it all started!  I talked to the kids and told them the significance of our outing.  Then, I said that it would be really special during Mass for our whole family to walk up for Communion down the same aisle where Daddy proposed to Mommy!  They couldn't wait and they loved that Damien didn't have a clue!

Right after Mass was over at Sacred Heart.
 Damien was speechless as we pulled into the parking lot.  We haven't been back since the day of the proposal.  With tears in this eyes, he kissed me and said,  "Thank you."  We settled into Mass and the kids were giddy with excitement.  They couldn't wait to get communion and walk the aisle.  How sweet is that?  Matthew did fall asleep during Mass so he will have to relive the moment through photos.  Communion came and it was a great family moment.  Thirteen years ago, two of us walked down this aisle.  Today, six of us walked the aisle.  Life is amazing.

After Mass, we went to great French restaurant on Lake Washington which was right near the hotel where we stayed the night after our wedding.  The kids loved the whole experience.  They loved the nostalgia of it all and got to feel a part of the whole process.  I couldn't have been happier with the way the night turned out.  It was as if we had all celebrated together.  It was perfect.  Happy 12th Anniversary, Damien!

2 comments:

the uffelmans said...

this is seriously so amazing. such a sweet story. i never knew how he proposed.

Brook said...

I love your tips on how to makea a marriage work. We are only 3 years in, but we live most of those as well. Love you guys! Happy Anniversary!